RE: [HOKEY] EMSK Issue

Avi Lior <avi@bridgewatersystems.com> Tue, 18 March 2008 22:02 UTC

From: Avi Lior <avi@bridgewatersystems.com>
To: Glen Zorn <gzorn@arubanetworks.com>, Charles Clancy <clancy@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:59:22 -0400
Subject: RE: [HOKEY] EMSK Issue
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, "hokey@ietf.org" <hokey@ietf.org>, Bernard Aboba <bernarda@windows.microsoft.com>
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

I would prefer not to say anything at all.  But that may not be realistic.

I do understand Jari's concern that there *could* be some issues if no used correctly.

I think the main objection as I understand it is that Network Access Authentication should be decoupled for Application Authentication.  That is, if we use the EMSK derived from Network Access Authentication to derive keys for applications we are coupling the two authentications.

This can be bad as Jari puts it because those applications that are coupled to one Network may not work when the user is connect to another network.

I agree but not generally. That is, there are some applications for which coupling makes perfect sense.  Applications that strictly run within the context of a Network Access session could benefit by having their application keys bootstrapped from EMSK.

For example, Over-the-Air provisioning application and location based applications that are part of the network.

Bootstrapping the keys from EMSK creates a single-sign-on and elliminates the need to have to provision keys for each of the applications and elliminates the need to run extra messaging to create session keys etc.

Application like a web server may not be appropriate to have its keys derived from EMSK because these application are network agnostic.

So we need to say something.  But that something needs to indicate the issues so that SDOs understand when to use the EMSK thingy and when not to use it.  I do not support making blanket statements such as Application MUST not derive their keys from EMSK.

Also note that there are ways to use the EMSK even in the case of the Applications that are access network agnostic.  And we should not block this scenario.