Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard

Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com> Mon, 29 August 2005 12:54 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:53:45 +0200
From: Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com>
To: Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Ian Jackson wrote:
> Brian E Carpenter writes ("Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)'  to	Proposed Standard"):
>
>>Russ Allbery wrote:
>>
>>>I think your criteria doesn't survive logical scrutiny.  If other people
>>>have access to the standard, can implement the standard, and can build on
>>>the standard to create a newer revision of it, I can't imagine what
>>>definition of "proprietary" you're using that would apply.
>>
>>But mDNS is not on the standards track and LLMNR is proposed to be
>>on the standards track. That, I think, is why Stuart has raised the issue.
>

> I'm finding this discussion quite disturbing.  It seems that the
> proposal is that the IETF should bless LLMNR because LLMNR is on the
> Blessing Track.

It's been duly submitted by a WG and Last Called, so we *must*
consider it for the standards track. I can't tell you what the result
of that consideration will be; my crystal ball is down.

> Surely the reasons for the IETF to bless LLMNR as opposed to mDNS
> should be based on technical details

Yes, except that we don't "bless", we approve publication (or not).

> and deployment experience ?

Strictly speaking, no - not for Proposed Standard status. But
implementation and deployment experience is always valuable input.

> In
> which case it seems clear that mDNS is far superior.  It's more widely
> deployed, more widely implemented, and not COMPLETELY INSANE !
>
> Sorry to be pejorative, but as a DNS implementor[1] I'm amazed to find
> senior IETF/IESG people seriously contemplating the kind of namespace
> confusion which is fundamental in the LLMNR protocol design.

Can you spell that out please? Since it uses a different port number,
where does the confusion occur?

     Brian