Re: [Ietf108planning] Response to registration fees feedback

Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Sat, 13 June 2020 21:04 UTC

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 23:04:31 +0200
Cc: ietf108planning@ietf.org
To: Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in>
Subject: Re: [Ietf108planning] Response to registration fees feedback

Hi Alissa, hi all,

Thanks for doing this. Unsurprisingly I think this is a really good decision!

Two small comments:

1) I would recommend to have an optional reasoning field for the free registration with a note that this information is solely requested to better understand the needs of the community. I think this information would be extremely helpful for discussion for future meetings.

2) The paragraph below about trust, sounds a bit like “we don’t trust you but now you can proof it”. That’s not the message I would want to give and I believe also not the message intended. The point is rather that we expect everybody who would have registered with the fee, will register now also with the fee. I would prefer to say that differently and maybe even more explicitly. I also see this as an experiment but if it fails we know better but I think nobody should need to feel bad about it. Instead I would rather recommend to add another paragraph to strongly encouraging people to registered as they would have done normally without fees even if they don’t actively participate. I’m a bit worried that we already lost some people or at least lost some of our good reputation about openness, so trying to be very inclusive would be important.

Mirja