Subject: Re: [Ila] [DMM] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-herbert-ila-mobile-00.txt
From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
To: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Sri Gundavelli (sgundave)" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, dmm <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 15:54:02 +0000
List-Id: Identifier Locator Addressing <ila.ietf.org>

Hi Dino,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dino Farinacci [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 4:35 PM
> To: Templin, Fred L <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Sri Gundavelli (sgundave) <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]; dmm <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [DMM] [Ila] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-herbert-ila-mobile-00.txt
> 
> > AERO uses IPv6 Neighbor Discovery as its control-plane. Surely that is the most mature?
> 
> Yes when used in a layer-2 subnet. Uses in a wider scope it has NHRP properties.

The AERO tunnel is an NBMA link the same as for any link, and uses RFC4861 neighbor
discovery messaging. All nodes on the link can communicate as single-hop neighbors.

> If you remember we had something called LISP-EMACS (thanks John Curran) which we “ARPed a Map-Request over a layer 3 multicast
> fabric” to resolve mappings.

I don't recall that, but AERO got its start with ISATAP back in Y2K .
Like AERO, ISATAP uses IPv6 ND messaging over tunnels.

Thanks - Fred

> Dino