Re: [Ilc] Clarifications and thoughts purpose of ILC list

Tao Effect <contact@taoeffect.com> Thu, 16 February 2017 22:14 UTC

From: Tao Effect <contact@taoeffect.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 14:14:00 -0800
To: David Mazieres expires 2017-05-17 PDT <mazieres-mz25ifj75g4n88b2gifq6ry7pn@temporary-address.scs.stanford.edu>
Cc: ilc@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ilc] Clarifications and thoughts purpose of ILC list

> The fact that the term consensus has a colloquial meaning may be
> generating confusion among some members of the list.

Which members? Bang them! >:-D

> As intended in the
> list name, the term consensus refers to a narrow distributed systems
> definition, namely the problem for a group of nodes to pick an input
> value such that there is both agreement (all nodes output the same
> value) and validity (the output equals one of the valid inputs, ruling
> out vacuous solutions like always outputting zero).  This is not to be
> confused with other meanings of the word, as in "rough consensus and
> running code," or consensus in any kind of a governance context.

I'm told they're fully aware of that.

> Many kinds of distributed system leverage some a consensus mechanism.
> At a high level, one of the things we might want to discuss in this list
> is whether it could be beneficial for the IETF to standardize some kind
> of consensus protocol or service.

As stated before on this list [1, 2], and as stated elsewhere on the web in semi-mathematical form [3,4], if such a consensus protocol or service is used with Certificate Transparency or anything else related to DNS, that would be to kill the Internet.

But you're welcome to work on a consensus-agnostic protocol if your intentions are benevolent.

- Greg

[1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ilc/BmFgooRm5GikT6mwhx9yOZgL1G8 <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ilc/BmFgooRm5GikT6mwhx9yOZgL1G8>
[2] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ilc/tUirMiYqzIogI1S14qRKhY8Fz0E <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ilc/tUirMiYqzIogI1S14qRKhY8Fz0E>
[3] https://blog.bigchaindb.com/the-dcs-triangle-5ce0e9e0f1dc#.24dexymvl <https://blog.bigchaindb.com/the-dcs-triangle-5ce0e9e0f1dc#.24dexymvl>
[4] https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rebooting-the-web-of-trust-fall2016/blob/master/topics-and-advance-readings/Slepaks-Triangle.pdf <https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rebooting-the-web-of-trust-fall2016/blob/master/topics-and-advance-readings/Slepaks-Triangle.pdf>