Re: [EAI] I-D Action: draft-ietf-eai-5738bis-01.txt

Joseph Yee <jyee@afilias.info> Mon, 01 August 2011 14:56 UTC

From: Joseph Yee <jyee@afilias.info>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 10:56:08 -0400
To: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
Cc: ima@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [EAI] I-D Action: draft-ietf-eai-5738bis-01.txt

Hi Chris, Alexey and all,

joseph ENABLE HAT=IMPELMENTOR

On 2011-07-31, at 9:28 PM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Chris Newman wrote:
>> --On July 11, 2011 3:04:44 -0700 internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote:
>>>    Title           : IMAP Support for UTF-8
>>>    Author(s)       : Pete Resnick
>>>                          Chris Newman
>>>                          Sean Shen
>>>    Filename        : draft-ietf-eai-5738bis-01.txt
>>>    Pages           : 16
>>>    Date            : 2011-07-11
>> I re-read this and tried putting on my somewhat dusty "IMAP implementer hat" rather than my "protocol designer" hat. This unfortunately resulted in a lot of substantive issues :-(
>>
>> There is one change I feel would be most helpful to make. I have learned that LIST extended is quite difficult to implement in a distributed server deployment and I believe that requirement will be a barrier to deployment of this extension. I suggest the document be changed so that the UTF8 LIST selection and return options can be used without requiring full implementation of the LIST extended extension. If the working group has rough consensus to go this direction, then I can provide the ABNF and text so that capability can be provided with or without the LIST extended extension.
>>
>> This benefits servers because servers that make simpler implementation choices (such as UTF-8-only mailboxes) would no longer be forced to implement the entire LIST extended structure to allow interoperability. It also removes a "conditional" from the client (the code the client uses presently has to be different based on the presence of the LIST-EXTENDED capability).
> I might be agreeable to this change, but I would like to see a bit more details before unconditionally supporting it. Can you suggest some text/show an example on how this would look like?

Same to Alexey, would love to see some text and example.

>> I then subsequently asked myself what features could be removed from this document while keeping the document sufficiently complete. There are three options here:
>>
>> 1. Remove the "UTF8=USER" capability. Since there's no password change or account creation command in IMAP, this information is not strictly necessary for clients. UTF-8 usernames and passwords will either work or not based on the identity subsystem.
> I tend to agree.
>> The client doesn't have to know, so unless there's a client that really needs to know for some reason, this should probably be removed just to make the protocol less cluttered. The same could be done for POP3, FYI.
> Base IMAP (RFC 3501) doesn't require support for non-ASCII usernames. In practice I suspect that many server implementations are ignoring the "ASCII-only" restriction and that UTF-8 usernames are just going to work.
>
> I am undecided on whether this capability should be removed or not.  I think it is basically advertising whether the identity subsystem supports non-ASCII usernames/passwords or not, so adding advertisement of this capability if a particular identity subsystem is compliant should be easy.
> If we are going to remove this capability, I would like to at least have a SHOULD about supporting UTF-8 username/passwords. As email addresses are frequently used as IMAP usernames, this can even be a MUST.

I would assume "UTF8=USER" meant to notify client about SASL on username & password rather than support of UTF8 on username & password.

If it's about SASL, I think we are safe to remove the tag, with client needs to check the SASL tag.  If it's about supporting UTF8 in username & password, then I think it's ok to remove "UTF8=USER", but only stating "UTF8=ACCEPT" MUST imply the support of UTF8 to username & password.

>> 2. Remove the up-conversion requirements. The goal was to make it simpler for clients by allowing clients without 2047/2231 to work sooner. But this might be an additional barrier to server implementers, especially now that down-conversion has become more prominent than in the previous model. I'm thinking the deployment concern may be more important now than the hope of a protocol-designer to get rid of the ugly encodings sooner.
> +1.

+1.

>> 3. Remove the UTF8=APPEND capability. This is a direct server-implementer vs. client-implementer tradeoff. Not having that capability and requiring servers to support this in any mailbox that supports SELECT/EXAMINE UTF8 makes things simpler and more predictable for clients, but at the expense of the server implementer. In hindsight, I think this is one where the server implementers should suffer to make things easier for the clients and to make the protocol look simpler.
> Just to clarify: are you saying that this functionality should always be supported by compliant servers? If yes, do you also propose to remove the UTF-8 signaling in the APPEND command?

I think this is good, but haven't think deep enough on this, including the UTF8  signalling in APPEND command.  Haven't thought completely yet where we may need the signalling.

-Joseph