[EAI] Heads-up - SMTPUTF8/EAI interactons with draft-ietf-appsawg-mdn-3798bis

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Thu, 04 August 2016 14:26 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 10:26:47 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: ima@ietf.org, ietf-smtp@ietf.org
Subject: [EAI] Heads-up - SMTPUTF8/EAI interactons with draft-ietf-appsawg-mdn-3798bis

Hi.

This is a heads-up about draft-ietf-appsawg-mdn-3798bis, an
update to the base Message Delivery Notification spec that
appears to me to have some interactions with the i18n version of
MDNs (RFC 6533) and to potentially be disruptive and/or an
impediment to SMTPUTF8 deployment.  The message below explains
my perspective on the situation.   Anyone on these lists who
feels a need or desire to comment on the situation should direct
their comments to apps-discuss@ietf.org.  Please do not add to
the confusion by commenting on the EAi/ima or ietf-smtp lists.

    thanks,
       john