Subject: Re: [EAI] Last Call: <draft-ietf-eai-frmwrk-4952bis-07.txt>(Overview and Framework for Internationalized Email) to Proposed Standard
From: Julien ÉLIE <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: Charles Lindsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 22:24:04 +0200
List-Id: "EAI \(Email Address Internationalization\)" <ima.ietf.org>

Hi Charles,

>> * In section 11 about additional issues, would it be worthwhile adding
>> a paragraph about Netnews gatewaying?
>
> It might be reasonable to mention that EAI could be adapted to Netnews (I  believe it would fit quite nicely), but that would be 
> merely an aside,  pointing out that it was "Future Work".

Yep, it was my point.  Something like what is for instance done for URIs:

  11.1.  Impact on URIs and IRIs

    The mailto: schema [RFC2368] and discussed in the Internationalized
    Resource Identifier (IRI) specification [RFC3987] may need to be
    modified when this work is completed and standardized.

It is a section with only three lines.  I thought something similar
could have been added for Netnews.

>> News articles can also be PGP-signed (for control articles, moderated
>> newsgroups, de-spamming bots, etc.) so it is still not advisable to
>> use an i18n mail address in a From:, Sender: or Approved: header field
>> for instance...
>
> I don't really see a problem there.

No problem indeed.  I mentioned it because I had just read the draft
and it was totally fresh in my mind.  I just mentioned it after reading
Section 11.3:

  11.3.  Encoded Words, Signed Messages, and Downgrading

    For example, message parts that are cryptographically signed, using
    e.g., S/MIME [RFC3851] or Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) [RFC3156], cannot
    be upgraded from the RFC 2047 form to normal UTF-8 characters without
    breaking the signature.  Similarly, message parts that are encrypted
    may contain, when decrypted, header fields that use the RFC 2047
    encoding; such messages cannot be 'fully' upgraded without access to
    cryptographic keys.

The same issue affects downgrading a PGP-signed Approved: header field
in Netnews.  I meant that when I wrote my comment.
Sorry for not having said it more clearly.  I understand it is not obvious
at all when rereading what I wrote without any context.

-- 
Julien ÉLIE

« Ne crains pas d'avancer lentement, crains seulement de t'arrêter. »
  (proverbe chinois)