Re: [EAI] UTF32

John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com> Wed, 22 April 2015 13:21 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 09:21:49 -0400
From: John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com>
To: Oleksandr Tsaruk <tsaruk@i.ua>
Cc: ima@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [EAI] UTF32

--On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 15:54 +0300 Oleksandr Tsaruk
<tsaruk@i.ua> wrote:

> Dear John
>
> Suggestion on UTF32 was about capacity of the table which can
> handle all known and future developed symbols and hieroglyphs,
> for case of our days UTF-16 with about 1 million cells could
> keep all basic symbols of known languages in the Earth.

Oleksandr,

As I suspected, there is probably a misunderstanding somewhere.
UTF-32 and UTF-16 are just different encodings for Unicode and
can represent exactly the same information.   UTF-16 represents
code points above U+FFFF by the use of so-called "surrogates".
I, personally, dislike surrogates and consider them a kludge,
but their availability as part of the UTF-16 system means that
UTF-16 can represent anything that UTF-32 can... and so can
UTF-8.

Now you may be thinking about something else.  The Unicode code
space ranges only from 0 to 0x10FFFF.   A 32bit code space would
be 0 to 0xFFFFFFFF.  If one believed that the Unicode code space
were too small and that a full 32 bit space were needed, that
would be a different matter entirely.  The Unicode folks are
convinced that more than the current space will never be needed
to represent all symbols of interest but, at one stage, they
believed that a 16bit code space would be enough.  I haven't
studied the mechanisms in some years, but, if a larger code
space were needed, extensions would be needed to both the UTF-8
and UTF-16 encoding models to accommodate it while anything that
used a 32 bit space directly would presumably be fairly
transparent, at least until one got into various Unicode tables
and algorithms that assume the smaller code space.   But, again,
that has little to do with the difference between UTF-16 and
UTF-32 except as a side effect.

 best,
    john