Re: [imap5] Feature set? - was Re: Designing a new replacement protocol for IMAP

Giovanni Panozzo <giovanni@panozzo.it> Sat, 18 February 2012 07:45 UTC

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 08:45:17 +0100
From: Giovanni Panozzo <giovanni@panozzo.it>
To: imap5@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [imap5] Feature set? - was Re: Designing a new replacement protocol for IMAP

Il 18/02/2012 08:24, Adrien de Croy ha scritto:

> We can't presume everyone has a full time internet connection.

100% agree. Store and forward is still required in some part of the
world. I developed XATRN (http://xatrn.panozzo.it), and there are still
very some (few, very few) users that use it with intermittent Internet
connection. Yes, I think that the future will be for always-on
connections, but there is no full world coverage of such kind of
Internet access.

>> They authenticate over sasl using some fancy
>> federated authentication protocol (project moonshot) before being allowed
>> to post to my inbox.
>
> Personally I'd be tempted to mandate use of X.509 (SSL) client certs and
> TLS.

Maybe X509 can be one of the weapons against spam. But today spam comes
from a "stolen" webserver (injectet PHP script) or from "stolen" PC
(zombie PC, zombie network).
Spam NEVER comes from the sender itself. SPAM comes from a stolen account :(
Yes, better knowing the stolen account can help in fix the problem,
linke telling the user to run antivirus/reinstall OS, or the webmaster
to check its .PHP files. But I don't think that identifiyng the user
with X509 cert or some other federated authentication will help.