[imapext] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-imapapnd-appendlimit-extension-08: (with COMMENT)

"Kathleen Moriarty" <Kathleen.Moriarty.ietf@gmail.com> Wed, 06 January 2016 01:28 UTC

From: Kathleen Moriarty <Kathleen.Moriarty.ietf@gmail.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 17:28:03 -0800
Cc: draft-ietf-imapapnd-appendlimit-extension@ietf.org, sm+ietf@elandsys.com, imapext@ietf.org, imapapnd-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: [imapext] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-imapapnd-appendlimit-extension-08: (with COMMENT)

Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-imapapnd-appendlimit-extension-08: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-imapapnd-appendlimit-extension/

COMMENT:

Thanks for your work on this extension, it seems useful, I just have a
few comments that can be left to the editors and AD to handle if I
disappear for maternity leave.

I think the security considerations section could be a bit more clear on
the actual risks with this extension.  I think the flow of the section
can be improved to make these risks a bit more clear.

First, this extension lets you find out the limit for either the server
or individual mailboxes, so shouldn't the first part of the description
focus on a possible DoS filling up those resources?

I'm not sure why there is a focus on "without this extension".

Then, it's a common security programming practice to enforce size
limitations in code.  Why is there a focus on an attacker sending append
content that exceeds the allowable size rather than just saying that such
append content should be rejected?