[imapext] [Errata Verified] RFC7889 (5726)

RFC Errata System <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org> Mon, 20 May 2019 22:36 UTC

To: stan@glyphein.mailforce.net, jayantheesh.sb@gmail.com, narendrasingh.bisht@gmail.com
From: RFC Errata System <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>
Cc: barryleiba@computer.org, iesg@ietf.org, imapext@ietf.org, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 15:35:59 -0700
Subject: [imapext] [Errata Verified] RFC7889 (5726)

The following errata report has been verified for RFC7889,
"The IMAP APPENDLIMIT Extension".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5726

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial

Reported by: Stan Kalisch <stan@glyphein.mailforce.net>
Date Reported: 2019-05-20
Verified by: Barry Leiba (IESG)

Section: 3.2

Original Text
-------------
   C: t1 LIST "" % RETURN (STATUS (APPENDLIMIT))
   S: * LIST () "."  "INBOX"
   S: * STATUS "INBOX" (APPENDLIMIT 257890)
   S: t1 OK List completed.

Corrected Text
--------------
   C: t1 LIST "" % RETURN (STATUS (APPENDLIMIT))
   S: * LIST () "." "INBOX"
   S: * STATUS "INBOX" (APPENDLIMIT 257890)
   S: t1 OK List completed.

Notes
-----
Line 198 contains two spaces between ""."" and ""INBOX"" instead of one.  While I had the instinct to mark this as editorial, this sample server response, whose genesis appears to be RFC 5819, ended up in two IDs (which were corrected before they became RFCs) as well.  In any event, given that this response also violates the ABNF, and given the RFC Ed.'s guideline on ambiguity, I'm just marking it as technical.  I'll leave it to others more familiar with the practical issues for various implementers to make the final determination on how to label it.

----- Verifier notes -----
Yes, this is an error: it comes from a combination of the RFC Editor style of double-spacing between sentences, the construction of the examples in XML in a manner that doesn't distinguish them from sentences, and the fact that it's nearly impossible to notice the situation when one is giving a final review.

Editorial, though, because it's in examples.  The ABNF is the authoritative place, and that's correct.

--------------------------------------
RFC7889 (draft-ietf-imapapnd-appendlimit-extension-10)
Title               : The IMAP APPENDLIMIT Extension
Publication Date    : May 2016
Author(s)           : J. SrimushnamBoovaraghamoorthy, N. Bisht
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : IMAP APPEND Extensions
Area                : Applications and Real-Time
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG