RE: [imss] MIB doctor review part 2 (T11-FC-SP-TC-MIB):

"WIJNEN, Bert \(Bert\)" <bwijnen@alcatel-lucent.com> Mon, 03 December 2007 22:25 UTC

Subject: RE: [imss] MIB doctor review part 2 (T11-FC-SP-TC-MIB):
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 23:24:02 +0100
From: "WIJNEN, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Keith McCloghrie <kzm@cisco.com>
Cc: imss@ietf.org

Inline

Bert Wijnen

Sounds fine to me.

> > 2. looking at T11FcSpPolicyHashFormat and T11FcSpPolicyHashValue I
> > wonder
> >    if/how often the TCS will need to be updated? And when
> that is done,
> >     a. do we then want to create a new RFC or
> >     b. should this become an iana  maintained module?
>
> The definition is intentionally designed such that the
> answers to your questions are: never, no, and no.  That is,
> the TC provides a REFERENCE to the location in FC-SP where
> values are defined, the syntax of both objects is based on
> the field sizes, not on assigned values, and the DESCRIPTION
> lists the "first two" assignments, but only as an FYI, not as
> the definitive specification.  In other words, the TCs are
> written so that they do not have to be updated when new
> assignments are made, which avoids the work of creating a new
> RFC and avoids creating extra work for IANA.
>
> >    If we need to create a new MIB module ourselves (option a), then
> >    we could be more specific this time by making the SYNTAX for
> >    T11FcSpPolicyHashValue as follows:
> >
> >        SYNTAX        OCTET STRING (SIZE (20 | 32))
> >
> >    because there are no other lengths possible given the currently
> >    specified/valid formats.
>
> See above -- the syantax is based on the field size, not on
> the currently assigned values.  That is, it is based on Table
> 106, not on Table 107, of FC-SP (06-157v3)

OK

> > 3. I am not sure if (how) it is wise to merge values from
> >    3 different tables in the FC-SP spec (tables 17/18, 48 and 52)
> >    into one Textual Convention for the code and one for CodeExp.
> >
> >        T11FcSpAuthRejectReasonCode
> >        T11FcSpAuthRejReasonCodeExp
> >
> >    In some cases, not all values are valid, are they? The set of
> >    reasons and Reason Explanations is different for the 3
> >    types of messages listed in the DESCRIPTION clause.
> >
> >    Maybe it is OK, but I am somewhat worried.
>
> If they were three unrelated values, then I would share your concern.
> However, all three types are potential values of a reason
> code (or reason code explanation).  In effect, the merge here
> is the same as woudl be done by using a C-language "union"
> construct, but the
> SMIv2 doesn't have one.  The merge is possible in this case
> because the combined set of potential values can all be
> included uniquely by assigning a unique named-number
> enumeration for each one.

Thanks for the explanation. If the WG is OK with that (which I guess
is the ase cuase no concern was raised in WG LC), then fine.

> > 4. T11FcSpPolicyNameType
> >    I find it very unfriendly that Internationalized names are not
> >    defined/allowed. But I do see that the base spec [FC-SP] does
> >    not allow it, so I guess we can only model the spec that T11
> >    has approved (or will approve).
>
> Perhaps, Claudio and David can take this comment back to T11
> for consideration in FC-SP2.

I think that would be good

> > 5. Personal and subjective preference: I would rename
> >
> >      T11FcSpAlphaNumNameOrNull
> >
> >    into
> >
> >      T11FcSpAlphaNumNameOrNone
> >
> >    The "Null" often makes people think of 0 (zero).
>
> I checked existing RFCs, and I found one xxOrNull and four
> xxOrNone TCs, two of which (VlanIdOrNone and
> VlanIdOrAnyOrNone) are integer-valued with "None"
> representing zero !!  So, the precedent is not that clear
> (except for the one you defined yourself:-).  Perhaps the
> greatest clarity would be:  T11FcSpAlphaNumNameOrAbsent ??

I can live with Null. Absent would be somewhat better to my
subjective preference; so would None. Up to you.

> > 6. As reported by the SYNTAX checkers, I would change the underlying
> >    SYNTAX for T11FcSpiIndex and T11FcSpPrecedence to be
> >
> >     SYNTAX   Unsigned32 (0..4294967295)
> >
> >    instead of:
> >
> >     SYNTAX   Unsigned32  -- the default range: (0..4294967295)
>
> I did change them, but please note that RFC 2578 defines it as:
>
>   Unsigned32 ::=
>       [APPLICATION 2]
>           IMPLICIT INTEGER (0..4294967295)
>
> so the change is unquestionably redundant.

Thanks for the change.
I like it to see an explicit statement that zero is valid in the

> > 7. I wonder if it would be good (I think it would be) to add a
> >    REFERENCE clause to each of the Encryption and Authentication
> >    algorithms specified by the OBKECT-IDENTITIES.
>
> It will be somewhat repetitious because all of the ENCR_xxx
> are in Table 70, and all of the AUTH_xxx are in Table 71, but
> if you're concerned that the macros could be extracted and
> displayed individually rather than as part of the MIB, then
> yes, there is a circumstance where it would be advantageous.

That is what the REFERENCE clause is intended for I think.

Bert