Re: [Insipid] I-D Action: draft-ietf-insipid-session-id-23.txt

"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> Mon, 27 June 2016 21:57 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: Paul Giralt <pgiralt@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 16:57:25 -0500
Cc: "insipid@ietf.org" <insipid@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Insipid] I-D Action: draft-ietf-insipid-session-id-23.txt

Hi Paul,

That version mostly addresses my concerns. I have a couple of comments
about the updated section 12:

- The text states that, since the session-IDs must not contain device or
user identifying information, they have no privacy considerations. That
sort of statement is a bit of a red flag during IESG review. In
particular, it would be good to also say something about the use of a
session-ID as a persistent identifier to correlate across session. As it
is, 4.2 says they generate a new, previously unused UUID. Is there any
normative text about reusing the UUID for more than one "session"? (Not
counting the text about transfers, etc.).

- The statement that session-id "MUST NOT be used for billing purposes"
will probably draw objections. I suggest that be changed ot "is not
appropriate for billing purposes." (Not really new text, but the
revisions drew my attention to it.)

Thanks!

Ben.