Re: [Insipid] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-insipid-logme-reqs-12: (with COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Wed, 01 February 2017 22:12 UTC

To: "Dawes, Peter, Vodafone Group" <Peter.Dawes@vodafone.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 22:12:34 +0000
Cc: "insipid@ietf.org" <insipid@ietf.org>, "insipid-chairs@ietf.org" <insipid-chairs@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-insipid-logme-reqs@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-insipid-logme-reqs@ietf.org>, "gsalguei@cisco.com" <gsalguei@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Insipid] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-insipid-logme-reqs-12: (with COMMENT)

Hi Peter,

I don't suggest that we get into it in detail - if needed that'd
be better done during IESG evaluation of the solution draft, but
I have to say that no matter how many other documents have the
same concept, I think it's a broken concept:-)

The "it" I mean is to consider the set of {all machines controlled
by one operator plus all the other machines needed for one or a
set of calls originated by that operator} as a "domain." That'd be
like considering the set of {routers affected by a BGP announcement
plus all the machines in the original AS} as a domain, which I
don't think makes any more sense.

Again though, I don't think we need to bottom out on this now,
but I suspect things'll work out better if the solution document
doesn't depend much on that "trust domain" (IMO non-)concept.

Cheers,
S.

On 01/02/17 20:18, Dawes, Peter, Vodafone Group wrote:
> Hello Stephen, Thanks for the in-depth review of the draft. Some
>
> Best regards, Peter and Arun (co-authors)
>
>> -----Original Message----- From: insipid

COMMENT:

Note that I'm balloting no-objection here. If some of these things weren't