Re: [Insipid] Ben Campbell's Discuss on draft-ietf-insipid-session-id-26: (with DISCUSS)

Elwyn Davies <elwynd@folly.org.uk> Wed, 17 August 2016 23:13 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 00:13:51 +0100
From: Elwyn Davies <elwynd@folly.org.uk>
To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: insipid@ietf.org, draft-ietf-insipid-session-id@ietf.org, insipid-chairs@ietf.org, christer.holmberg@ericsson.com
Subject: Re: [Insipid] Ben Campbell's Discuss on draft-ietf-insipid-session-id-26: (with DISCUSS)

Just to add that I would not class RFC 7206 as a 'foundational document' as mentioned in Barry Leiba's proposed update to RFC 3967, but rather as a WG process document that becomes a matter of historical interest only once the WG has acted on the requirements or problem statement.
The fact that there is a well-worked out set of definitions means that it shouldn't be much work to transfer the text and the definitions are not yet referenced anywhere else, so it would avoid prejudging the RFC 3967 update (any more - RFC 6707 last month has already taken us down the slippery slope a bit - I'd argue that 6707 isn't foundational either) without significant knock-on effects.
I accept that this would result in a near duplicate of 2.5 pages of text and a little extra work for the draft editors.  Not a horrendous on-cost I feel for avoiding downrefs to WG process documents which I think ought to be avoided, even if they continue to be published as RFCs.
Regards,Elwyn

Sent from Samsung tablet.
-------- Original message --------From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Date: 17/08/2016  23:38  (GMT+00:00) To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org> Cc: insipid@ietf.org, insipid-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-insipid-session-id@ietf.org, christer.holmberg@ericsson.com, Elwyn Davies <elwynd@folly.org.uk> Subject: Re: Ben Campbell's Discuss on draft-ietf-insipid-session-id-26: (with
  DISCUSS)
(+ Elwyn so he can correct me if I mischaracterize anything.)

I'd like to get other AD's opinions on Elwyn's concern.

To recap, draft-ietf-insipid-session-id normatively references RFC 7206
due to some definitions. 7206 is an informational requirements draft, of
the sort we might or might not agree to publish if the decision came up
again. Elwyn argues that, since the information RFC may not have gotten
the same level of review as a PS would have, that it's not appropriate
to allow a normative downref. He argues that the authors should instead
copy the definitions into the draft in question.

My counter argument is that the definitions in RFC 7206 (Namely
"communication session" and "session-id") are fairly long and nuanced,
with a fair amount of discussion.

Thanks!

Ben.