[Insipid] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on draft-ietf-insipid-logme-marking-12: (with COMMENT)

Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in> Thu, 16 August 2018 01:12 UTC

From: Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-insipid-logme-marking@ietf.org, insipid-chairs@ietf.org, gsalguei@cisco.com, insipid@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 18:12:56 -0700
Subject: [Insipid] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on draft-ietf-insipid-logme-marking-12: (with COMMENT)

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-insipid-logme-marking-12: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-insipid-logme-marking/

COMMENT:

S 3.7:
"As described
   in [RFC7989] section 6, related dialogs can occur when an endpoint
   receives a 3xx message, a REFER that directs the endpoint to a
   different peer, or an INVITE request with Replaces that also
   potentially results in communicating with a new peer."

To avoid help discourage overbroad logging, this would be better if it
normatively limited the set of what may be considered "related dialogs" to what
is listed here, rather than saying "can occur."

S 4.3:
If intermediaries are going to be authorized to insert "log me" on behalf of
UAs, was any consideration given to providing support for UAs to be able to
insert "do not log me"? I realize this is a different use case -- not where the
UA isn't adding new functionality specified in this document, but rather where
it is -- but it seems like it might be warranted if having intermediaries
insert "log me" is going to be a sanctioned practice.

Note that there could be multiple plausible semantics of "do not log me" worth
supporting: telling intermediaries not to turn on "log me" or telling the
terminating user agent not to log.

S 4.6:
"Any previously logged messages SHOULD be
   retained and not deleted."

I think this needs to say "in accordance with the limitations set out in
Section 8.4.5."