Re: [Insipid] draft-ietf-insipid-session-id-10: comments

"Paul E. Jones" <paulej@packetizer.com> Fri, 06 March 2015 05:11 UTC

From: "Paul E. Jones" <paulej@packetizer.com>
To: Brett Tate <brett@broadsoft.com>, draft-ietf-insipid-session-id@tools.ietf.org, insipid@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 05:12:33 +0000
Subject: Re: [Insipid] draft-ietf-insipid-session-id-10: comments

Brett,

I went back and looked at the intermediary text section again.   I think
with the last revision, some of the paragraphs were becoming repetitive.
  I also think that in addressing the handling of provisional responses
and responses to CANCEL, we were overloading that paragraph too much by
trying to also handle origination of messages like BYE.  So, I split
that into two paragraphs.

The "must not alter" text was removed in the process, so I'm not sure if
that addresses your concerns about a race condition or not.  I didn't
fully understand that, so feel free to raise the point again on the new
"March 5th Edition". ;-)

On the point of not meeting "Requirement 1", I think if the intermediary
originates a message and is ignorant of the Session-ID values, yes.
However, we cannot require intermediaries to add this additional state.
I guess we could, but I don't think folks would like to have that pushed
on them.  So, I added a new first paragraph to the intermediaries
section.  With that in place, we could then put additional rules in
place if you feel we might be violating a rule.  And, one might argue
that we are in the origination of the BYE message ("When an intermediary
originates a request message ..." paragraph).  I personally think it's
OK if an intermediary generates a message that did not come from a UA
that the "null" UUID value be inserted if the intermediary doesn't want
to maintain this state.

You said, "Inserting "null" could impact the next Session-ID. More
specifically, it might cause next UPDATE to contain {A, N}."

Yes, you're right.  I added a new paragraph starting with "With respect
to the previous two paragraphs ..." that tries to close the hole here.

Anyway, have a look at this modified text and tell me what you think.

Here's a link: http://1drv.ms/1vufda6

Paul