Re: [Int-area] Using ISO8473 as a network layer to carry flexible addresses

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Thu, 08 April 2021 00:24 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 02:24:22 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>
Cc: Stewart Bryant <stewart.bryant@gmail.com>, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, "draft-jia-flex-ip-address-structure@ietf.org" <draft-jia-flex-ip-address-structure@ietf.org>, int-area <int-area@ietf.org>, Jiayihao <jiayihao@huawei.com>, "draft-jia-scenarios-flexible-address-structure@ietf.org" <draft-jia-scenarios-flexible-address-structure@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Using ISO8473 as a network layer to carry flexible addresses

Pascal,

Yes, the low-power world in IETF invented a lot of concepts that SRv6 then reinvented, but
heck, late in the process they managed to at least acknowledge some of that prior work through
references  ;-) nd not, the logic around compact alternatives to SRH also started with the premise that
those shorter representations are compressed versions of IPv6 addresses (if i still understand it right).

This is all great and fine if we think that the only future we can think if is one where we try
to fit everything we want to innovate on into the tight box of rfc8200. And while i agree
tht there may be good short-term reasons for such options, i just don't see this as a viable
long-term option to significantly evolve our network layer protocol benefits beyond the original
esign of 40 years ago. At least not without incurring a lot of technology dept that makes it more
and more difficult to deploy and expand with.

To me the much more interesting question to ask than "how can we make innovation fit rfc8200"
is how we could provide the most backward compatible superset of network layer functionality
that does allow us to carry forward what we need (e.g.: IPv4/IPv6 semantic), but also allows us
to extend semantics (especially addressing) in the most cost-effective/performance/least-obfuscated way.
And i don't think it is hard.

The mayor stumbling block IMHO is to recognize that unlike maybe 25 years ago when
ISO8473 was around, we nowadays IMHO do NOT have any issues high-speed hardware forwarding
anymore to have headers with different length address, but using a unified forwarding plane logic
and hopefully even much more shared control plane as eventoday acros IPv4 and IPv6.

If we just had those variable length adddresses, all the discussions about SRH alternatives
would go away because each address element could have a forwarding component as short/long as
necessary for the network and as many programmabiliy bits behind it as desired - for this element.
Likewise, i would venture to guess that a lot of the low-power network solutions would become much simpler
and efficient by aleviating the need to compress addresses.

Cheers
    Toerless