Re: [Int-area] Document shepherd comments on 'draft-ietf-intarea-gue-05'

"Templin (US), Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Thu, 30 August 2018 15:29 UTC

From: "Templin (US), Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: Tom Herbert <tom@herbertland.com>
CC: "Int-area@ietf.org" <Int-area@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 15:29:45 +0000
x-originating-ip: [137.137.12.6]
x-tm-snts-smtp: D4296A0BF3AAE03F5F7FBF4F310CDC0A07E19E672AF7605EC6AEFECFAA03C5F52000:8
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Document shepherd comments on 'draft-ietf-intarea-gue-05'

Hi Tom,

See below for responses:

Fred

My take is that this would make more sense. Leave the "flags" field
as "reserved" in GUE and then specify it as a flags field an request
an IANA registry  in GUEEXTEN. Then, GUEEXTEN could be published
as an update to GUE.

I am open to hearing other opinions on this.

> > Section by Section comments:
> >
> > Section 3.2.1:
> > Final paragraph beginning: "IP protocol number 59 ("No next header") can be set
> > to indicate that the GUE payload does not begin with the header of an IP protocol."
> > The example given was GUE fragmentation, but would that not represent a
> > departure from the way things are done for IP fragmentation? I believe in
> > IP fragmentation the protocol field contains the same value for both initial
> > and non-initial fragments. Is there a reason for the departure here?
>
> Yes. GUE allows a node to skip over the GUE header to inspect the
> encapsulated payload, For instance, a firewall may be looking for an
> inner IP destination in an encapsulated packet. The GUE payload is
> interpreted based on the protocol in the Proto/ctype field. So if the
> payload is not a parseable IP protocol (like it would be for a
> non-first GUE fragment), then 59 is used to avoid devices trying to
> parse it.

I am OK with ipproto-59. In hindsight, maybe IP fragmentation should have
adopted a similar convention when it was specified so many decades ago.

> > Section 3.2.2:
> > Final sentence: "This document does not specify any standard control message
> > types other than type 0." If this document defines type 0, then the format and
> > use of that message type should be specified here. Also, IANA considerations
> > simply says: "Need Further Interpretation" - I think that interpretation should
> > appear in this document.
>
> It's the control message equivalent of IP protocol 59 as discussed
> above. The payload is a control message (or at least part of one) but
> cannot be parsed with addition context (like a reassembled packet,
> after a GUE transform, etc.).

Does GUEEXTEN specify any standard control messages? If so, maybe use
the same strategy for control message IANA considerations similar to what
we discussed for flags above.

> > Section 3.3:
> > The use of "flags" and "paired flags" is discussed but with no actual flags
> > assignments appearing in this document. Instead, it quotes from "GUEEXTEN".
> > Is that OK?
> >
> The reference to GUEEXTEN is not material and can be removed.

OK.

> > Section 4:
> > Misspelled "varinant". Check rest of document for spelling.
> >
> Okay.

OK.

> > Section 5:
> > Final sentence of first paragraph, suggest changing: "Packet flow in the reverse
> > direction need not be symmetric; GUE encapsulation is not required in the
> > reverse path." to: "Packet flow in the reverse direction need not be symmetric;
> > for example, the reverse path might not use GUE and/or any other form of
> > encapsulation."
> >
> Okay.

OK.

> > Section 5.4:
> > The sentence "No error message is returned back to the encapsulator." Suggest
> > removing this sentence and remain silent. Reason is that future variants may
> > well indicate the use of some form of error messaging.
> >
> Okay.

OK.

> > Section 5.4.1:
> > Second paragraph, "set 94 for IPIP", I was under the impression that the common
> > values for IPIP encapsulation are '4' for IPv4 and '41' for IPv6. I have not seen '94'
> > appear elsewhere. Is this a common use? If not, would it be better to use '4' or '41'?
> >
> Correct, 4 should be used for IPv4 and 41 should be used for IPv6
> encapsualtion in examples.

OK, good.

> > Section 5.5:
> > The sentence including: "there are no provisions to automatically GUE copy flags"
> > appears to have a wording issue that I could not parse.
>
> Okay, will fix.

OK.

> > Section 5.11:
> > Is "flow entropy" mandatory or optional? For example, shouldn't it be OK for the
> > encapsulator to set the UDP source port to anything of its own choosing if it does
> > not want to get involved with flow entropy determination?
>
> From section 5.6.1:
>
> "The selection of whether to make the UDP source port fixed or set to
> a flow entropy value for each packet sent SHOULD be configurable for a
> tunnel. The default MUST be to set the flow entropy value in the UDP
> source port."
>
> Is more clarificaiton needed?

No, the text you quoted already addresses the concern.

> > Section 6.2:
> > "Generic UDP Encapsulation for IP Tunneling (GRE over UDP)" - the correct title
> > of this RFC is "GRE-in-UDP Encapsulation".
> >
> Okay, will fix.

OK.

> > Section 6.2:
> > "Generic UDP tunneling [GUT]" expired in 2010. Can we either drop this or refer
> > to it in the past tense?
> >
> Okay, can delete it.

OK.

> > Section 8.3:
> > Control type 0 defined as: "Need further interpretation". I think this document
> > should say what type 0 is instead of just requesting a "placeholder".
>
> It's not really a placeholder. If means the playload contains a
> control message bu requires further context to be interpreted.

OK.

> > Section 8.4:
> > It seems unusual that this document requests a registry with no initial assignments.
>
> If it makes sense the IANA request could be moved to GUEEXTEN.

That would make sense to me, but open to hearing other opinions. I would
like to see GUE published, and then publish GUEEXTEN with an "updates GUE"
designation.