Re: [Int-area] I-D Action: draft-ietf-intarea-gue-04.txt

Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu> Fri, 19 May 2017 21:41 UTC

To: internet-drafts@ietf.org, i-d-announce@ietf.org
Cc: int-area@ietf.org
From: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 14:41:18 -0700
Subject: Re: [Int-area] I-D Action: draft-ietf-intarea-gue-04.txt

FWIW:

It might be useful for this document to be more clear in showing

a) the specific header it introduces, before it talks about variations
(e.g. in Sec 2 when it is introduced, rather than in subsections)

b) examples of that header in the context they would appear in a typical
packet, clearly indicating the GUE portion as distinct from that context

The current explanation is a bit confusing because it uses atypical terms:

    - sec 2, what is a UDP/IP header? When we say TCP/IP, we mean the
protocol suite, not a header

        AFAICT, this should show UDP and IP as separate:
[IP][UDP][GUE][GUE payload]

    - sec 3.1, 4.1, and 4.2 present a header format in a confusing way

        GUE doesn't change the UDP header; it's a header inside UDP, so
the UDP part should be omitted (making it consistent with what I expect
for sec 2)

         the representation in 3.1 is confusing in comparison to 3.3.2,
which is just the GUE header (again, omitting UDP from 3.1, 4.1, and 4.2
fixes this)

Sec 4.1 should make it clear that the fields shown are just that of the
IPv4 header - and the fact that the first two bits are 01 is what helps
GUE realize that this is a special case.

Sec 4.2 should do the same for IPv6.

It seems like you also need to address what happens for IPv5, IPv7, and
later values of IP (i.e., 00 = GUE, 01=IPv4-7, and what happens for 1x?).

Joe