Re: [Int-area] Continuing the addressing discussion: what is an address anyway?

Eliot Lear <lear@lear.ch> Wed, 26 January 2022 06:24 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 07:24:31 +0100
To: Geoff Huston <gih@apnic.net>
Cc: "Int-area@ietf.org" <Int-area@ietf.org>, architecture-discuss@ietf.org
From: Eliot Lear <lear@lear.ch>
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Continuing the addressing discussion: what is an address anyway?

[copy architecture-discuss]

Geoff,

This is a pretty good characterization.  In fact, it's exactly where we
went in the NSRG nearly 20 years ago, just after MO first kicked out
8+8.  For people's reference, we looked at naming at different levels,
including at L3, in DNS, URNs (which were relatively new things then),
HIP, etc.  There were then several efforts in both the IRTF and IETF to
deal with portability of connectivity in transport.  I think QUIC gets a
lot of that right.  QUIC – at least at the moment – as some limitations
for local use (either you have certs or some sort of prearranged
bidirectional authentication).  I think it's a fair engineering
assumption that those will be kinked out.

With all of that having been said, I go back to Dirk's note: what
properties do we need at L3?

  * If QoS is still a thing, then admission control has to be part of
    the story.
  * There is a tussle between endpoint privacy and the endpoint itself
    being a threat.  In the latter case, the endpoint has to be
    identified.  But to whom?

As you describe, a lot of routing has moved up a layer.  Sort of.  But
not all.  CDNs need to be well aware of topology, and that comes from
L3, perhaps with additional OOB info.

So... what's missing from L3 at this point that we need, and is it even
a good question to ask?  I ask that because I have seen recently a
retrenching AWAY from IPv6.  If that is happening, what makes us think
that any new L3 beyond IPv6 would ever get adopted?  OR... what is
missing from IPv6 that would cause people to move?

Eliot