Re: [Int-area] Call for adoption of draft-boucadair-intarea-host-identifier-scenarios-04

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Wed, 11 June 2014 14:24 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>, "Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)" <tireddy@cisco.com>, "int-area@ietf.org" <int-area@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 14:24:06 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.1]
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Call for adoption of draft-boucadair-intarea-host-identifier-scenarios-04

Hi SM,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] Yes.

  The INTAREA working group
>previously worked on a RFC about potential solutions for revealing a
>host identifier.   Are the potential solutions discussed in RFC 6967
>inadequate?

[Med] The effort in RFC6967 does not ambition to pick a solution but to conduct an analysis effort with a focus on the CGN case. That case is only one among others defined in the scenario draft. Identify and document the use cases is a first step to actually understand the problem we are talking about. This is a contribution to clarify the big picture of this problem space.

  I don't think the question is out of scope given that
>the draft references RFC 6967.

[Med] Privacy is not out of scope as I mentioned in a previous message. Nevertheless, privacy implications may depend on the targeted use case. The considerations in RFC6967 can be completed with new ones if any.

>If the mission is to identify use cases, why are discussions about
>the use cases (see Section 2) out of scope?

[Med] What we declared out of scope is solution-oriented aspects. We wanted to have a very focused document.

>The lack of host identification does not affect host
>connectivity.  This scenarios draft makes the case for the lack of
>host identification being the cause of problems.

[Med] The draft focuses only on scenarios where complications arise. The problem may be abstracted from other perspective but the host identification is a valid angle IMHO.

  Do the problems
>affect the internet or are they limited cases?

[Med] Implication on connectivity depends on the use cases. For example, a service that black list a full IP address  or rate limit based on the source IP address will impact a lot of customers; access to services won't be granted.