[Int-dir] XML2RFC PDF problem (was: Re: An IOT DIR review of draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane)

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Mon, 11 June 2018 17:28 UTC

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 19:28:35 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>, xml2rfc@ietf.org
Cc: draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane@ietf.org
Subject: [Int-dir] XML2RFC PDF problem (was: Re: An IOT DIR review of draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane)

[ Moving to xml2rfc@ietf.org as this seems to be a tooling issue,
 Bcc dir/group mailing lists.]

Thanks, Pascal

I can not find a problem in the xml source i uploaded
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane-16.xml
(but of course other eyes may see more..)

Note that i did not unload any conversions, just the XML to datatracker.

The "normal" html looks fine in the Introduction section:
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane-16.html

I think you are referring to the PDF conversion:
https://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-ietf-anima-autonomic-control-plane-16.pdf

Page 6 and 7 are completely messed up in that file, starting maybe as
you say from bullet point 2 in Section 1, Introduction. But for no
clear reason to me.

two Questions to xml2rfc gurus:

a) How can i even try to create this PDF format with hyperlinks ?

I tried all three PDF versions on https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/
the first one creates perfect PDF without hyperlinks, the second one
creates perfect PDF from the perrfect html vrsion (which looks not really
good), and the third one creates some strange crap.

Without being able to create this hyperlink PDF i'd have to troubleshoot
by uploading a lot of versions to datatracker until i figure it out, so
thats not going to happen.

b) Anybody has a suggestion how to fix this formatting error ?

Note that this PDF conversion does seem to be doing some pattern matching:
In the introduction the XML source says:

Section 5 of <xref target="RFC7575"/>

Which that PDF shows as a single hyperlink (the HTML of course not).
Maybe this type of heuristic pattern matching fails somewhere.
But, see question a), without being able to troubleshoot without
creating useless draft versions on datatracker, i have no recourse to
fix.

Will open trac case if nobody has a clue.

Thanks a lot!
    Toerless