[Int-dir] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-sfc-oam-framework-13: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 06 May 2020 12:24 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-sfc-oam-framework@ietf.org, sfc-chairs@ietf.org, sfc@ietf.org, Tal Mizrahi <tal.mizrahi.phd@gmail.com>, tal.mizrahi.phd@gmail.com, cjbc@it.uc3m.es, int-dir@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 05:24:21 -0700
Subject: [Int-dir] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-sfc-oam-framework-13: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-sfc-oam-framework-13: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sfc-oam-framework/

COMMENT:

Thank you for the work put into this document. The document is easy to read;
BTW, I found that its content is more about the justifications / requirements
for an OAM system and tools descriptions than about for a framework description.

The core of the document appears to be section 6: this should probably be
reflected in the abstract and introduction

Please address the comments raised in the Internet directorate review by Carlos
Bernardos:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/int-dir/TgQulH7hytGPNxdAPWcSgkTx1IM

Please find below a couple on non-blocking COMMENTs. I would really appreciate
a reply to all these COMMENTs.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== COMMENTS ==

I would not refer to BCP 14 (RFC 8174) as this is an architectural/framework
document (informational) and not a protocol specification.

It seems that most of the described tools are about synthetic traffic. Is there
any other means to do OAM in SFC (not that I have any suggestion...)?.

-- Section 1 --
About "to be applied to packets and/or frames", for me packets are layer-3 PDUs
and frames are layer-2 PDUs. While I am not familiar with SFC, I could envision
SFC being applied to transport or application layers PDUs. So, why restricting
the use of this document to layers 2 and 3 only ?

-- Section 2 --
Is there a reason why all 'virtual links' are not mentioned in this section?
I.e., SR-IOv network, tun/tap, ...

Similar question about why limiting the example of VM and not including
containers ?

-- Section 3 --
The word "performance" is often used in the document but it is not described in
depth though: is it about the SF CPU/memory or 'client traffic' latency &
throughput ? Section 4 partially addresses my question but not completely;
also, adding forward pointers to section 4 would be nice.

-- Section 4.3 --
Please bear with my ignorance of SFC world... but, if a SF is doing proxying /
rewriting the application message, how useful is an end-to-end PMTUd check? As
there are two stitched TCP connections ?

The overall assumption of this section is that all SF are pure layer-3, leaving
the IP header intact so that ECMP & TTL checks can be done. Is it always the
case ?

Section 5.2 addresses the above points, but, I suggest that section 4.3 to be
restricted to ' link-layer OAM'

-- Section 6.4.1 --
"TTL field in NSH header to 63", not familiar with NSH, but, if there is a TTL
field in NSH, then it could be useful to point to the RFC & section describing
it. Esp in a section whose title is "ICMP" (referring obviously to the IP
header).

-- Section 8 --
In this security section, I wonder whether the trace tool deserves a paragraph
or two as if trusted while being forgeable/spoofed, then operators could trust
a SFC which is "owned" and not reliable (i.e., with a bypass of some security
SF). Trusting the security AD to raise a DISCUSS if they think it is a DISCUSS.

== NITS ==

-- section 6.3 --
Is it really required to re-specify the use of bit O in NSH ?

-- Section 6.4.1 --
Sigh... using the IPv4 terminology of TTL...