Return-Path: <pindar.wong@gmail.com>
X-Original-To: internetgovtech@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: internetgovtech@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com
 (Postfix) with ESMTP id CFFCA1A08E2 for <internetgovtech@ietfa.amsl.com>;
 Wed, 12 Mar 2014 22:47:44 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.699
X-Spam-Level: 
X-Spam-Status: No,
 score=-1.699 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9,
 DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, FREEMAIL_FROM=0.001,
 HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, MIME_8BIT_HEADER=0.3, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=no
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com
 [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id bJom3tBITMPJ for
 <internetgovtech@ietfa.amsl.com>; Wed, 12 Mar 2014 22:47:43 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from mail-we0-x22b.google.com (mail-we0-x22b.google.com
 [IPv6:2a00:1450:400c:c03::22b]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id
 0F3DA1A08D6 for <internetgovtech@iab.org>;
 Wed, 12 Mar 2014 22:47:42 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by mail-we0-f171.google.com with SMTP id t61so403229wes.2 for
 <internetgovtech@iab.org>; Wed, 12 Mar 2014 22:47:36 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113;
 h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to
 :cc:content-type; bh=vDxo/on8JUZBcL/HNKMWQCBWfT8+b4kF4GSDBP7VjGY=;
 b=GdcAuEmgRKIqvaDYTB8IFBjUz2R2WINvn31YWS1duNk4MPbCNO58XgRrwg1MluCilP
 6tPZzPss2sqC7pMT273emtI8niuYpIw11M+gLbwF1FEY3+HnNgwqSLIX5MRNKisToaoe
 0xkwUA2Qb+6WeLAUtri0gOD3SWsxMHLM5giHdLr1sVo2vE5ocPkzo/hpZczfOuSffM1P
 5+7tGWIZ8or3wQMEjz6IEFZ+TRgzlp8aaHtAAdlEtgJPIbQD8kQYHGYHDqm9d7Ifnjym
 WbC5oupMETc8MOBpK7WUZ9JUunl5j1b147VWYEu4SuuhlF+A4yIizrwn7hao0G3pPA4Y luTA==
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Received: by 10.194.58.180 with SMTP id s20mr13044wjq.54.1394689656035;
 Wed, 12 Mar 2014 22:47:36 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.194.0.228 with HTTP; Wed, 12 Mar 2014 22:47:35 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <532144E0.2080302@frobbit.se>
References: <53066F72.6080809@cisco.com> <CF2CB88C.1B2CA%alissa@cooperw.in>
 <53078600.3090104@cisco.com> <CF2CCDF6.1B3E7%alissa@cooperw.in>
 <53086568.7050707@cisco.com>
 <3FFD6830-DC12-4707-AE2B-0FE1F251B198@vigilsec.com>
 <530921E3.7060005@cisco.com> <DFC22E37-7FA1-4973-A804-73C00685419C@iab.org>
 <DF55C3B2-FF68-4001-B778-4CBC4354CAB6@iab.org>
 <39ED9EBA-C644-40A4-B45B-9764032CE277@apnic.net>
 <BA199E69-BA8D-4CFF-BEE4-DE444115C4D9@shinkuro.com>
 <0F0A2653-1FC8-475F-B123-01E96E26CECF@apnic.net>
 <290E20B455C66743BE178C5C84F1240847E633476A@EXMB01CMS.surrey.ac.uk>
 <3F12C9B5-61B6-4C28-B73A-320D80A6AE17@apnic.net>
 <532144E0.2080302@frobbit.se>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 13:47:35 +0800
Message-ID: <CAM7BtUoq9Rj-XLEmFOet5HMXv2NQrWQfExSnTSyTb5hZVJ7+qg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Pindar Wong <pindar.wong@gmail.com>
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Patrik_F=E4ltstr=F6m?= <paf@frobbit.se>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=047d7b86cb68851fb604f4767d6d
Archived-At: http://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/internetgovtech/4keXud5hKByJT-lqqoa-06TR8dQ
Cc: internetgovtech@iab.org, Geoff Huston <gih@apnic.net>, l.wood@surrey.ac.uk,
 "ietf@ietf.org Mailing List" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Internetgovtech] Guiding the Evolution of the IANA Protocol
 Parameter Registries
X-BeenThere: internetgovtech@iab.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.15
Precedence: list
List-Id: Internet Governance and IETF technical work <internetgovtech.iab.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.iab.org/mailman/options/internetgovtech>,
 <mailto:internetgovtech-request@iab.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.iab.org/mail-archive/web/internetgovtech/>
List-Post: <mailto:internetgovtech@iab.org>
List-Help: <mailto:internetgovtech-request@iab.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.iab.org/mailman/listinfo/internetgovtech>,
 <mailto:internetgovtech-request@iab.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 05:47:45 -0000

--047d7b86cb68851fb604f4767d6d
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

fwiw also be mindful of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_generis_database_right

p.


On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Patrik F=E4ltstr=F6m <paf@frobbit.se> wrot=
e:

> On 2014-03-13 06:23, Geoff Huston wrote:
> > I personally am in favour of a stronger statement of principle from the
> IETF in this area, but I'm just one voice, and I sense from the posts for
> Jari and Eliot that they are unwilling to head further in this direction =
-
> fair enough.
>
> FWIW, I support Geoff here, given the history we have seen not only in
> direct IETF history but also in other Internet related registries (for
> example various TLD-registries).
>
> That said, I at the same time agree with Jari and Eliot that the over
> all goal is in the principles. That finding a solution "is implementation=
".
>
> So, I just would like to have a stronger statement so this is not
> forgotten.
>
> The copyright for a parameter and its assigments should stay with
> whatever organization "owns" that parameter. Not belong to whoever acts
> as the care taker of the registry.
>
> That ICANN also say they do not have any interest as the operator in IPR
> for the registry is good, but if the registry operator changes, IPR
> issues I absolutely would like to see in the agreement(s).
>
> I am because of that of course sort of happy with what Jari and Eliot
> stated. This can be found in the principles.
>
> Just do not forget about it...
>
>    Patrik
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Internetgovtech mailing list
> Internetgovtech@iab.org
> https://www.iab.org/mailman/listinfo/internetgovtech
>
>

--047d7b86cb68851fb604f4767d6d
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>fwiw also be mindful of <br><br><a href=3D"http://en.=
wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_generis_database_right">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki=
/Sui_generis_database_right</a><br><br></div><div>p.</div></div><div class=
=3D"gmail_extra">
<br><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Patrik =
F=E4ltstr=F6m <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:paf@frobbit.se" targe=
t=3D"_blank">paf@frobbit.se</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"g=
mail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-l=
eft:1ex">
<div class=3D"">On 2014-03-13 06:23, Geoff Huston wrote:<br>
&gt; I personally am in favour of a stronger statement of principle from th=
e IETF in this area, but I&#39;m just one voice, and I sense from the posts=
 for Jari and Eliot that they are unwilling to head further in this directi=
on - fair enough.<br>

<br>
</div>FWIW, I support Geoff here, given the history we have seen not only i=
n<br>
direct IETF history but also in other Internet related registries (for<br>
example various TLD-registries).<br>
<br>
That said, I at the same time agree with Jari and Eliot that the over<br>
all goal is in the principles. That finding a solution &quot;is implementat=
ion&quot;.<br>
<br>
So, I just would like to have a stronger statement so this is not forgotten=
.<br>
<br>
The copyright for a parameter and its assigments should stay with<br>
whatever organization &quot;owns&quot; that parameter. Not belong to whoeve=
r acts<br>
as the care taker of the registry.<br>
<br>
That ICANN also say they do not have any interest as the operator in IPR<br=
>
for the registry is good, but if the registry operator changes, IPR<br>
issues I absolutely would like to see in the agreement(s).<br>
<br>
I am because of that of course sort of happy with what Jari and Eliot<br>
stated. This can be found in the principles.<br>
<br>
Just do not forget about it...<br>
<span class=3D"HOEnZb"><font color=3D"#888888"><br>
=A0 =A0Patrik<br>
<br>
</font></span><br>_______________________________________________<br>
Internetgovtech mailing list<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:Internetgovtech@iab.org">Internetgovtech@iab.org</a><br>
<a href=3D"https://www.iab.org/mailman/listinfo/internetgovtech" target=3D"=
_blank">https://www.iab.org/mailman/listinfo/internetgovtech</a><br>
<br></blockquote></div><br></div>

--047d7b86cb68851fb604f4767d6d--

