Re: [Ioam] [EXT] Stephen Farrell's Block on charter-ietf-ioam-00-02: (with BLOCK and COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Wed, 15 February 2017 14:10 UTC

To: Tal Mizrahi <talmi@marvell.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 14:10:01 +0000
Cc: "ioam@ietf.org" <ioam@ietf.org>, "ioam-chairs@ietf.org" <ioam-chairs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ioam] [EXT] Stephen Farrell's Block on charter-ietf-ioam-00-02: (with BLOCK and COMMENT)

Hiya,

On 15/02/17 14:05, Tal Mizrahi wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> Minor comment: as in [RFC6291] OAM in our context stands for
> Operations, Administration, and Maintenance.

Fair enough, thanks.

The question in (3) though stands as to whether the scope
includes (the moral equivalent) of a ping of death or not.
Admin vs. Management in the acronym doesn't really impact
on that.

Cheers,
S.

> Cheers, Tal.
>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Ioam
>> [mailto:ioam-bounces@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Farrell Sent:
>> Wednesday, February 15, 2017 2:09 PM To: The IESG Cc:
>> ioam@ietf.org; ioam-chairs@ietf.org Subject: [EXT] [Ioam] Stephen
>> Farrell's Block on charter-ietf-ioam-00-02: (with BLOCK and
>> COMMENT)
>>
>> External Email

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
>> charter-ietf-ioam-00-02: Block
>>
>> When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to
>> all email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to
>> cut this introductory paragraph, however.)
>>

>> The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found
>> here: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-ioam/

BLOCK:

(1) I think we should have a BoF for this. Given the similarities with
SPUD/PLUS
>> (see [1] below) just going ahead and chartering this (and in RTG?)
>> seems to be very badly inconsistent on behalf of the IESG, given
>> the community concern about at least the meta-data insertion
>> aspects in common. (And maybe more aspects.)
>>
>> (2) As with SPUD/PLUS I am very concerned at the potential privacy
>> (not security) implications of any generic method of injecting
>> meta-data whether that be into transport layer flows/sessions or at
>> other layers. I do not see how doing that at any layer that can
>> potentially span the Internet is different from doing the same
>> thing at any other layer. I am concerned that there may not in fact
>> be any acceptable solution for this problem (other than not aiming
>> to allow any generic encoding), so I think this is something that
>> does need to be discussed before external review happens. I am not
>> convinced by the "domain" boundary argument in the charter - such
>> things leak and/or the concept of "domain" is too ill-defined. A
>> further point here is that the suggested timeline (data format
>> defined in April 2017) clearly suggests that the idea here is to
>> define a way to add a generic TLV structure to any packet, which I
>> think equally clearly means that all of the privacy issues are
>> relevant.
>>
>> (3) I assume the "M" in the name is for management. I don't see
>> what would prevent someone developing a standardised ping of death
>> if that is the case. (Or actually, possibly many flavours of that.)
>> And actually that'd probably be inevitable if the "M" is really
>> seriously meant. I am not sure that we (the IETF) would like that.
>> That makes me wonder if the scope here is at all sufficiently well
>> defined - is the implication of the name that the proponents want
>> to be able to do all management functions this way, or just some?
>> If just some, then which, and why is that a good idea?
>>
>> [1] https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/96/plus.html

COMMENT:

- I remain unconvinced that this can go ahead before the IPv6 header
processing