Re: [iola-wgcharter-tool] A question about the states in RFC 6292

Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com> Wed, 31 August 2011 10:41 UTC

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 12:42:02 +0200
From: Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com>
To: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Cc: iola-wgcharter-tool@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [iola-wgcharter-tool] A question about the states in RFC 6292

Hi Russ,

On 2011-08-31 00:25 Russ Housley said:
> Henrik:
>
> I see a  problem with your proposal as I understand it.
>
> When there is a charter in place, a recharter is a discussion about
> replacing that charter. The potential recharter can take many
> revisions, and while this is happening, the original charter remain
> the 'active' one. When the recharter is approved, it become the
> 'active' one. So, during the recharter there are two documents in
> play.

You're right.  The simplest way to handle this would be to simply let
the charters be multiple documents, named for instance

  charter-foowg-00  with revs 00, 01, 02 etc (charter-foowg-00-00.txt etc.)
  charter-foowg-01  with revs 00, 01, 02 etc (charter-foowg-01-00.txt etc.)

and publish the final, approved version as charter-foowg-00.txt, etc. if
we want to keep exactly to the numbering scheme in the RFC.  Then the
charters would have different independent states.

I guess we should then also introduce a state 'Superseded' or 'Obsoleted'
or 'Historic' for old charters once new ones has been put in place.  There
could also be a replaces/replaced-by relationship linking the documents.

Do you think that would work?

Best regards,

	Henrik