Re: [Iot-directorate] [Rats] Iotdir last call review of draft-ietf-rats-eat-13

Eliot Lear <lear@lear.ch> Sun, 05 June 2022 15:26 UTC

Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2022 17:25:51 +0200
To: Thomas Fossati <tho.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: IETF IoT Directorate <iot-directorate@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-rats-eat.all@ietf.org, last-call@ietf.org, rats <rats@ietf.org>
From: Eliot Lear <lear@lear.ch>
Subject: Re: [Iot-directorate] [Rats] Iotdir last call review of draft-ietf-rats-eat-13

Hi Thomas

On 05.06.22 16:21, Thomas Fossati wrote:
> Hi Eliot, thanks very much for the review.
>
> One quick comment on this point:
>
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 1:57 PM Eliot Lear via Datatracker
> <noreply@ietf.org>  wrote:
>> The most major problem with the document is this:
>>
>> 7.  Profiles
>>
>>     This EAT specification does not gaurantee that implementations of it
>>     will interoperate.  The variability in this specification is
>>     necessary to accommodate the widely varying use cases.  An EAT
>>     profile narrows the specification for a specific use case.  An ideal
>>     EAT profile will guarantee interoperability.
>>
>> This is quite counter-cultural to the IETF.  You start with the
>> smallest set of functionality and then expand outward to cover
>> different use cases that make use of different extensions.  I'm
>> not saying that profiles would not be necessary, but that some
>> additional thought be given to extension mechanisms.
> Maybe what is not immediately clear is that EAT is not a complete
> protocol but a framework.

What is provided is a specification of a token.  That's how I reviewed it.

> The EAT framework provides:
> * A type system -- the base claims-set & a few aggregation types;
> * Security envelopes based on COSE, JOSE;
> * CBOR and JSON serialisations;
> * A number of pre-defined semantics (the defined "claims") that one
> can readily reuse.

All good.  In fact, that's so well stated that perhaps you should say it
in the draft just so.

> So, a mechanism to identify specific kinds of EAT-based PDUs needs to
> be there from the onset, otherwise one wouldn't know how to
> instantiate the framework for their use case.  And that's precisely
> the role of the profiles.

I'd suggest that Section 7 is still problematic as specified. Let's
start with Section 7.2.1:

>     The profile should indicate whether the token format should be CBOR,
>     JSON, both or even some other encoding.  If some other encoding, a
>     specification for how the CDDL described here is serialized in that
>     encoding is necessary.
>
>     This should be addressed for the top-level token and for any nested
>     tokens.  For example, a profile might require all nested tokens to be
>     of the same encoding of the top level token.

Can you give an example of when this would not be entirely clear from
context?  Consider this: YANG serializes into XML and JSON. but we do
not specify different YANG modules for the two serializations.  You can
express the serialization of the CDDL for different formats (as you do),
but that's different from profiling.

> For an example of a profiled EAT that builds on the EAT framework to
> create (demonstrably) interoperable attestation evidence see the PSA
> token [1].
>
> [1]https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-tschofenig-rats-psa-token-09.html

Yes, this feels like a classic profile.

>> This statement in particular is quite disturbing.
>>
>>     In some cases CDDL may be created that replaces CDDL in this or other
>>     document to express some profile requirements.
>>
>> Not only is this counter-cultural, but it would require an Updates:
>> header on any such profile, and would further just be plain out
>> confusing.
> I don't think the "Updates" would be required: the CDDL defines a type
> constraint that is applicable to the specific profile, it doesn't
> modify the base type.

But that is precisely what the text I quoted states.

> See for example the way PSA restricts the nonce claim [2].
>
> https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-tschofenig-rats-psa-token-09.html#section-3.1.1

As an aside, I think I should congratulate you for actually generating
compliant SVG graphics!

Coming more to the point, why is it the working group could not settle
on many of the contents inside that profile document?  This profile
seems like an out for the working group not having resolved some
differences.  Are there those who want nonce values other than 32, 48,
or 64 bytes?  If so, what brings about the difference and can it be
resolved?

Also, some of the contents of the profile you refer to demonstrate the
peril:  a nonce can be presented in three different ways.  Why?  Why
does it matter that you not use an array when conveying a single nonce?
All that does is add additional branches.  Worse, if parsing has to
occur based on multiple profiles, as will happen, the amount of code
needed to do this is likely to balloon.

Eliot