SIP now IPv6

Dave Katz <dkatz@cisco.com> Fri, 25 December 1992 00:08 UTC

Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1992 16:09:19 -0800
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Dave Katz <dkatz@cisco.com>
To: dcrocker@mordor.stanford.edu
Cc: vcerf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US, sip@caldera.usc.edu, ip-encaps@sunroof.eng.sun.com, iana@isi.edu, iab@isi.edu
Subject: SIP now IPv6

Actually I suspect that more ARP implementations will break than will IPv4
implementations (unless the IP header checksum field is in the same place in
SIP as IPv4), since these are notoriously bad about checking all of the
fields.

I think it will be difficult to demonstrate that this does not cause
problem with existing implementations until it is far too late to change
it (i.e., after broad deployment).

I would make the claim that conservative engineering practices suggest that
the right place to do demultiplexing is the place where it is already known
to work, as opposed to a place where it is not done in practice.

   Org: The Branch Office, Sunnyvale CA
   Phone: +1 408 246 8253; fax: +1 408 249 6205