Re: SIP now IPv6

Dan Lynch <dlynch@interop.com> Thu, 24 December 1992 15:38 UTC

Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1992 07:47:12 -0800
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Dan Lynch <dlynch@interop.com>
Subject: Re: SIP now IPv6
To: Christian Huitema <Christian.Huitema@sophia.inria.fr>, Jon Postel <postel@isi.edu>, sip@caldera.usc.edu, ip-encaps@sunroof.eng.sun.com, iana@isi.edu, Hans-Werner Braun <hwb@upeksa.sdsc.edu>, iab@isi.edu

        Reply to:   RE>>SIP now IPv6

My, oh, my.  Is there any emotion here?  If we are going to hand out version
numbers of IP to accomodate testing (a darn good idea) then we have one little
matter to deal with.  The "public" has been told that the next new official
version of IP will be called Version 7.  If SIP is 6, andn others are to
experiment, then there will be numbers above 7 that are not going to outlast
the "official" verion.  I suggest that we pick a new number (when it naturally
happens) that denotes the new official IP.  And not have it be 7.  Having
numbers above the official number will confuse the marketplace.  I also suggest
we "bury" the number 7 for this purpose.   (Danny Cohen would have a lot to say
about the meaning of this...)

sounds dumb and picky, but the public view is important.

Dan