Re: Procedural question (Re: SIP API spec)

Frank Kastenholz <kasten@ftp.com> Wed, 27 January 1993 16:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1993 11:33:16 -0500
To: solensky@andr.ub.com
Subject: Re: Procedural question (Re: SIP API spec)
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Frank Kastenholz <kasten@ftp.com>
Cc: Bob.Gilligan@eng.sun.com, ip-encaps@sunroof.eng.sun.com, sip@caldera.usc.edu

Frank,

Making any interface specification a part of the standard, either a
generic one as you suggest, or a specific one as was recently posted
to the SIP list, is a very very bad idea. At least as far as the IETF
goes. The SIP API spec was written as a BSD-Socket interface. What about
those environments that use Streams? What about environments that use
their own interfaces -- where neither Sockets nor Streams are available?

At most, the specs for the various protocols should define what services
are available to the users (see Section 3.8 "Interfaces", pp 44, of RFC793).

--
Frank Kastenholz