SIP now IPv6

yakov@watson.ibm.com Sun, 27 December 1992 23:10 UTC

Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1992 18:10:47 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: yakov@watson.ibm.com
To: deering@parc.xerox.com
Cc: sip@caldera.usc.edu, ip-encaps@sunroof.eng.sun.com, iana@isi.edu
Subject: SIP now IPv6

Ref:  Your note of Sun, 27 Dec 1992 13:24:20 PST

>I think that the IP community and the IP protocol suite has been
>seriously, perhaps fatally wounded by those who have been shouting
>"the sky is falling!"

Steve,

I agree with your assertion, though I would take a less pessimisstic
(with respect to "fatally wounded") attitude.  I think
that those who "have been shouting" need to be hold accountable
for the damage they did (and continue doing).

>The IAB told us that time was running out, when their Kobe announcement...

You identified here one party that "have been shouting".
We all know quite well the fate of this announcement, as well as
how this announcement backfired on the IAB. The IAB withdraw
their announcement, and I would consider what they "told us that time"
as just a part of history.

>The IESG tells us, by their continuing imposition of deadlines and
>milestones that there is no time to waste...

Well, there is a difference between "no time to waste" and "time is
running out". I hope that the IESG learned from the history and
would not repeat mistakes... So far, I did not hear an official
IESG position stating that "time is running out."

>However, given that there are many who *are* panicked....

First, I think you are overestimating the number of folks who "panicked."
Second, the best way to address the "panic" is to explain to those
who panicked that their panic is ungrounded. This seems to be a much
simpler solution to the "panic" syndrome, than trying to rush
with a new replacement for IPv7. Panic is an *emotional* problem,
and thus requires an *emotional* (rather than technical) solution.
Making critical technical decisions (like IPv7) in a "panic" mode
is *extremely* dangerous and should be avoided at any cost.

>Now, I don't myself believe that time is running out...

And neither do I. And neither quite a few other people.
So, why should our actions be driven by those who panicked,
rather than by our own technical judgements ?

There is a problem, but there is no fire yet. The fire could
start very soon, unless the Internet is well engineered.
There are concerted efforts today to address the engineering issue.
Let me also point out, that any of the current proposals would be
proned to exactly the same fire, unless the Internet is well
engineered.  All that, of course, just confirms a well-known
fact that there is no substitute for good engineering...

Yakov.