[ipcdn] RE: IPCDN eventmess-09 review

"Jean-Francois Mule" <jf.mule@cablelabs.com> Tue, 13 March 2007 16:55 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 10:51:17 -0600
From: Jean-Francois Mule <jf.mule@cablelabs.com>
To: David B Harrington <dbharrington@comcast.net>
Cc: david.kessens@nokia.com, ipcdn@ietf.org, bwijnen@lucent.com, "Richard Woundy @ Comcast" <Richard_woundy@cable.comcast.com>
Subject: [ipcdn] RE: IPCDN eventmess-09 review

Hi, David,

   First, thank you for taking the time to review and for your comments.
I copy ipcdn as I think those discussions should go to the list.

   I think some of your comments deserve more time to review and the
authors should respond soon in more details.

   That said, there are a few comments that I want to answer now.

See inline.
Jean-Francois.
IPCDN co-chair

Expert review was requested and Greg Nakanishi who authored the Docsis
event mgmt mib module provided comments late 2005. You reviewed draft-06
and provided comments to Sumanth on 6/20/2006 which were addressed in
draft-07 and subsequent versions.
Also, many ipcdn folks are acknowledged in the ID: some are device
manufacturers who reviewed this a few times, as did folks from tComLabs.
Finally Randy and Bert did chime in a couple of times on issues raised
on the ID.
That said, we always benefit from more reviews.

> document does not pass id-nits cleanly (although partly because we
> moved into a new year, and partly because the IPR boilerplate
> changed).

Ok, note that this was caught in the proto write-up.
This must be fixed but they are easy to fix (we caught the same kind of
issues on the ipcdn signaling mib module and they were fixed in
draft-13).

> Two very major issues of consistency with other IETF efforts plague
> this document. This is understandable because this document tries to
> correlate SNMP and syslog event messaging, and it is based on work
> being done by Packetcable, but if this is going to be published as an
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  Since 2002, the work on this ID has been done in the IETF.

> IETF document, it should be consistent with the IETF SNMP and Syslog
> standards work.
Certainly and this has been a driver for the other IDs in IPCDN and the
main purpose for moving the work to IETF IPCDN.

> SNMPv1 and SNMPv2c have been declared Historic and NOT RECOMMENDED,
> but this document is obviously geared to working with SNMPv1 message
> formats, especially the SNMPv1 Trap-PDU.
This is not the intent and not my personal recollection.
All mib modules in IPCDN are 'geared to' working with SNMPv3.
As a matter of fact, this is mentioned in the security consideration
section.
What makes you say that w.r.t. the pdu format and what restrictions do
exist in the current mib module that would prevent SNMPv2 and SNMPv3 msg
formats?
Let fix this and please elaborate.
Is this because pktcDevEventDescrEnterprise is included in
notifications?

> The syslog WG has been working to standardize the syslog protocol,
> including a UDP and a TLS transport, and a MIB module. Yet this
> document is based on RFC3164, which the syslog WG is probably going to
This document started in 2002 and is based on rough consensus and
working code.

> request be declared obsolete. This document does not properly hanlde
> different types of transports for Syslog. I do not think this document
> should progress unless it is brought into alignment with the syslog
> documents.
I think we should discuss this more.
Not all transport of syslog may be used or supported by all devices,
certainly not devices in the field right now without a TCP stack...
Some of these limitations do exist because of small memory footprint on
some devices and just common usage of syslog on some access networks.

> Some objects in this document contain address information, and do not
> appear to support both IPv4 and IPv6 addressing, although the document
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  Elaborate
> is actually inconsistent on this point, using InetAddress TCs in some
> places and not others.

I have not done a recent review of the MIB but objects use the
InetAddress TC.
If you are talking about making the DESCRIPTION clause of objects like
pktcDevEvSyslogAddress  more generic to use IPv6 examples, ok, this can
certainly and should be done.
Is that what you mean here?

> ISMS is expanding the types of InetAddresses
> that can be used for SNMP (to support SSH transports). This MIB does
> not have transport agility.

Stopping here due to time constraints, will let the authors review and
chime in here.