RE: [ipcdn] Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess (ManagementEvent Management Information Base (MIB) for PacketCable- andIPCablecom-Compliant Devices) to Proposed Standard

"Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com> Fri, 18 January 2008 15:32 UTC

Subject: RE: [ipcdn] Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess (ManagementEvent Management Information Base (MIB) for PacketCable- andIPCablecom-Compliant Devices) to Proposed Standard
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:31:58 -0500
From: "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>
To: "Natale, Bob" <RNATALE@mitre.org>
Cc: ipcdn@ietf.org

Bob,

Thanks for your close review and comments of this draft. Here are my
reactions (as shepherd of this internet-draft).

>In the DESCRIPTION clause of "pktcEventReset", it appears that
"resetEvDescrTable(1)" is used mistakenly where "resetEventTable(1)" is
intended

I agree. I confirmed with one of the authors (Sumanth) that this is a
typo.

I would change 'resetEvDescrTable(1)' to 'resetEventTable(1)' in the
last paragraph on page 10 of the draft.

>Additionally, event the name of "resetEventTable(1)" for this
particular BITS element is misleading, inasmuch as it resets (to factory
defaults) only the "pktcEventText" column of the "pktcEventTable".

Here I disagree. I believe that 'resetEventTable(1)' also resets the
'pktcEventSeverityLevel' and 'pktcEventReporting' columns -- since these
two columns are read-write as well as 'pktcEventText'.

-- Rich

(ManagementEvent Management Information Base (MIB) for PacketCable-
andIPCablecom-Compliant Devices) to Proposed Standard

In the DESCRIPTION clause of "pktcEventReset", it appears that
"resetEvDescrTable(1)" is used mistakenly where "resetEventTable(1)" is
intended (based on the repeated appearance of "resetEventTable(1)" in
the OBJECT-TYPE definition and no other appearance of
"resentEvDescrTable(1)" elsewhere in the MIB definitions).

Additionally, event the name of "resetEventTable(1)" for this
particular BITS element is misleading, inasmuch as it resets (to
factory defaults) only the "pktcEventText" column of the
"pktcEventTable".  My recommendation would be to change "pktcEventText"
to "pktcEventDescr" and rename "resetEventTable(1)" to
"resetEventDescr(1)".  Regardless, the naming needs to be harmonized.

Cheers,
BobN