New I-D has been submitted for draft-wan-ipdvb-rohc

"Ang Way Chuang <洪伟壮>" <wcang@nav6.org> Fri, 17 October 2008 07:23 UTC

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:02:57 +0900
From: "\"Ang Way Chuang <洪伟壮>\"" <wcang@nav6.org>
To: "ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk" <ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
CC: TC Wan <tcwan@cs.usm.my>
Subject: New I-D has been submitted for draft-wan-ipdvb-rohc
Sender: owner-ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk

Hi all,
	I've just submitted the latest draft to IETF. The URL:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/idst/status.cgi?submission_id=9771

     The following is a summary of changes that went into this draft:
- Introduce a field called RefID (reference ID) in RCPNP message that
used to ack/nack another message with the same ID.
- Reorganize the content so all causes of negative acknowledgement are
now put under Negative acknowlegement section.
- Introduce heartbeat message in RCPNP that will be sent periodically
when ROHC channel is idle. This is used to detect cases where
compressor/decompressor terminates abnormally.
- In the section where interaction of RCPNP is shown, how RefID and ID
are used was added. In addition, a case where abnormal termination is
also shown.

Any comment on the latest draft?

In addition, we would like to discuss and possibly include the following
ideas for the next revision:

1. Network with only 2 nodes may avoid the steps involve in the learning
of network topology. Broadcast/multicast traffic can be compressed in
this case. My guess is that this can achieved by gateway machine by
detecting how many receiver frontend. If there is only one receiver
frontend, then it is safe to assume the network only consists of 2
nodes. Our definition of node is limited to receive capable feed. Of
course, I am likely to be wrong.

2. How to enable compression of broadcast/multicast traffic if the
network has more than 2 nodes? One idea is to have compressor gateway
send a beacon signal about parameters of ROHC channel for
broadcast/multicast traffic through uncompressed channel periodically
There are several challenges that must be handled for this case.
- Firstly, if one of the receiver gateway can't accept the ROHC channel
parameter (e.g doesn't support certain profile or doesn't ROHC
decompression), then compression of broadcast/multicast can't proceed.
- There may be cases where receiver gateway joins the network after
compressor gateway has started transmission of compressed packet. In
this situation, the receiver gateway won't be able to decompress the
packet until it receives the beacon and until the compressor's context
falls back to IR state. Thus, context of compressor must periodically
fall back to IR state after certain time (this may consumes more
bandwidth than having uncompressed packet for certain cases depending on
how frequent it falls back to IR state).

3. Only decompressor gateway can initiate the negotiation of ROHC
channel in current draft. I think it is sufficient, so is there a need
to specify a way to let compressor gateway to initiate the negotiation
of ROHC channel?

Anyway, I had a quick glance at the drafts related to security extension
  mentioned in the last IETF meeting, but I have no idea how it can be
used to overcome the problem of address spoofing vulnerability mentioned
in our draft.

Thanks for reading this lengthy email.

Regards,
Ang Way Chuang