Réf. : Re: IPDVB Provisional Agenda (IETF-75)

cedric.baudoin@thalesaleniaspace.com Tue, 07 July 2009 10:02 UTC

Subject: Réf. : Re: IPDVB Provisional Agenda (IETF-75)
To: ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk
Cc: ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk, owner-ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk
From: cedric.baudoin@thalesaleniaspace.com
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 11:36:33 +0200
Sender: owner-ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk

Hi all

This is a really important topic. I do agree that a complete revamp of the
signaling is a key point if we want to improve the interoperability and to
address "all IP satcom systems" (or at least IP friendly ;-) )

Best regards

Cédric Baudoin

                      Bernhard
                      Collini-Nocker           Pour :   ipdvb@erg.abdn.ac.uk
                      <bnocker@cosy.sb         cc :
                      g.ac.at>                 Objet :  Re: IPDVB Provisional Agenda (IETF-75)
                      Envoyé par :
                      owner-ipdvb@erg.
                      abdn.ac.uk

                      07/07/2009 09:00
                      Veuillez
                      répondre à ipdvb

Dear all,

in my opinion there is a need to get rid of the transport stream
encapsulated PSI/SI sections/tables in the second generation DVB systems
for signaling purposes, especially in those cases where only Generic
Stream Encapsulation is being used. Essentially there are two kinds of
signaling, one for physical link and network properties, and the other
one for services. The latter one is well addressed by all those parties
interested in AV/TV/... over IP, whereas the first one is still delt
with so-called backward compatibility mode (so TS encapsulated signaling
sections). Although ULE/GSE provide an extension header for carrying TS
packets, this is a suboptimal choice given that any kind of signaling
shall support unidirectional mode of operation and boot strapping of
rx-only devices.

This is not to propose a solution rather than to point out that there is
standardisation work needed in this area. Whether it fits in the ipdvb
agenda is to be discussed.

Best wishes,
Bernhard