Subject: Re: [IPFIX] Review of draft-irtf-nmrg-location-ipfix-07.txt
From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
To: Zhoutianran <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 11:02:31 +0000
List-Id: IPFIX WG discussion list <ipfix.ietf.org>

Collecting this data is not particularly difficult, but protecting the 
privacy is much harder and will, I imagine be subject to significant 
scrutiny as the draft progresses.

It seems to me that there are security and privacy issues concerning 
both the traffic and the collector itself. The privacy of the user is a 
widely understood concept and will I am sure be thoroughly examined in 
review. In the case of the collector I am not convinced that it is wise 
to reveal the precise location of the network infrastructure since this 
could result in it being subject to physical attack.

An approach that you do not seem to explore is encrypting the location 
record so that this can only be understood by those that are authorised 
to see it. Indeed there is a case for something analogous to the 
selective availability system in GPS whereby the location is provided 
with different degrees of precision depending on the authority of the user.

- Stewart

On 23/11/2016 02:33, Zhoutianran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Though IPFIX is concluded, could the IPFIX experts in this mailing list please help to provide comments for this I-D?
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-nmrg-location-ipfix
>
> It seems this work has a long history. Your help will push this work a step forward.
>
>
> Thanks,
> Tianran
>
> _______________________________________________
> IPFIX mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix