Re: [IPFIX] [sfc] FW: I-D Action: draft-kumar-ipfix-sfc-extension-00.txt

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Sun, 26 April 2015 22:40 UTC

Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 18:39:34 -0400
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: "Nagendra Kumar Nainar (naikumar)" <naikumar@cisco.com>, "ipfix@ietf.org" <ipfix@ietf.org>, "sfc@ietf.org" <sfc@ietf.org>
Cc: "draft-kumar-ipfix-sfc-extension@tools.ietf.org" <draft-kumar-ipfix-sfc-extension@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] [sfc] FW: I-D Action: draft-kumar-ipfix-sfc-extension-00.txt

I am wondering if the nextSFF fields really belong here?
I see several problems with them.  If the observation is being made
before the SF, or between multiple local SF, then the information does
not exist.  Even if the observation is being made after the last local
SF, the identification of the next SFF, as understood by this SFF, may
well not be an IP address.  What the local SFF knows may be an IP
address, and Ethernet Address, an MPLS label, etc.  So I am not sure
this makes sense as a reportable.

Otherwise, it looks quite reasonable and useful.

Yours,
Joel