Re: [IPFIX] Winding down the ipfix working group.

Paul Aitken <paitken@Brocade.com> Mon, 15 December 2014 11:22 UTC

From: Paul Aitken <paitken@Brocade.com>
To: Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 12:22:29 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "joelja@gmail.com" <joelja@gmail.com>, "ipfix@ietf.org" <ipfix@ietf.org>, "ipfix-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <ipfix-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] Winding down the ipfix working group.

Brian, please see inline...

Thanks,
P.

Exactly.

> Personally, I'd be happy if we didn't start deprecating things already in the native
> registry in favor of things in MIBs,

Agreed; this document does not deprecate any existing IEs.

- which means there are now two ways of exporting some things (as IE and as MIB). Collectors should already have architectures which understand this equivalence (effectively a presentation layer) since there are already some equivalent (duplicate) IEs (Andrew Feren had a list), and the list will surely grow as enterprise-specific IEs are transitioned to IANA. So I consider this to be a pre-existing issue which was not introduced by this document.

Therefore I don't see a need to document the existing IE / MIB equivalences in the document. Please shout if you disagree.

> and if the IE Doctors don't tell someone who
> wants an IE that they can't have it because it's in MIB X.

I think it'll be on a case-by-case basis. Hopefully they'll encourage the use of MIB export. However if the use case involves exporting lots of other IEs and no other MIBs, then a new IE would seem justified for simplicity.
Remember that the point of the draft is to avoid overloading the IANA registry with new IEs which are equivalent to existing MIBs.

>  I don't believe it's necessary to write any of that down though.

+1

> >> Actually this seems to be closer to "we've already created duplication, so we can happily create more," which seems dangerous for sustainable interop.
> >
> > What change, if any, would you like to see in the draft?
>

> As long as it's clear that the mechanism is intended to glue MIBs to IPFIX, none.

Great, thanks!

P.