Re: [IPFIX] NetFlow v9 to IPFIX conversion

Paul Aitken <paitken@brocade.com> Thu, 16 April 2015 09:54 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 10:54:30 +0100
From: Paul Aitken <paitken@brocade.com>
To: Petr Velan <petr.velan@cesnet.cz>, Gerhard Muenz <muenz@net.in.tum.de>
Cc: "ipfix@ietf.org" <ipfix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] NetFlow v9 to IPFIX conversion

Petr,

> the problem we are facing here is that the NetFlow v9 ID space is not
> centrally managed

NetFlow v9 is a cisco protocol, and the IDs are allocated by Cisco's
netflow police. Contact ipfix-iana@cisco.com.

Anyone using NFv9 IDs without contacting them is asking for trouble (ie,
ID collisions).

> therefore we cannot hope to cover all possible IDs and vendors, since
> they can change. Moreover, as you say, the owner of a PEN maintains
> his ID registry, therefore we should not use someones PEN just because
> he defined the nf9 elements.

Equally, nobody should be self-defining NFv9 elements without reference
to Cisco, because they've no idea what IDs Cisco (or others) might use
in future.

> What I propose is similar to RFC 5612. We should define an NetFlow to
> IPFIX conversion PEN which could be used by anyone for mapping nf9
> elements with ID > 2^15. The ID of that element would not be changed,
> only the PEN would be added, which, as an added benefit, would be
> fairly easy to implement in IPFIX mediators. No central management is
> necessary, just as you need to know the nf9 elements that you use, you
> would have to know the semantics from the appropriate vendor. The
> collisions cannot be avoided, however, they are not managed in nf9 either.
>
> As you say, there is currently no PEN for general experimental use
> that could be used as a fallback.

Even if there was, you shouldn't use such a PEN in a released product
because it could conflict with someone else's usage.

P.