Re: [IPFIX] Winding down the ipfix working group.

Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch> Sat, 13 December 2014 21:32 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 22:32:07 +0100
To: Paul Aitken <paitken@Brocade.com>
Cc: "joelja@gmail.com" <joelja@gmail.com>, "ipfix@ietf.org" <ipfix@ietf.org>, "ipfix-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <ipfix-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] Winding down the ipfix working group.

hi Paul, all,

AFAIC, I sent in my review on 15 August 2014, edits were made 26 Oct, I followed up 27 Oct. The *document* is basically good to go, I see that there are a couple of outstanding questions from Paul's 30 Oct message; sorry for missing these...

>>> The mechanism _can_ be used like that.
>> Can be, yes. Is it the express intention of the authors of the draft to do so?
>
> Authors aside, what does the WG want? Ultimately the goal is to avoid creating new IPFIX IEs for each MIB that needs exported. Does that require considering MIBs as part of the info model?

So I've thought about this a bit and I *think* we agree here: this mechanism exists so that things which are already in MIBs can be exported via IPFIX without having to define new IEs.

Personally, I'd be happy if we didn't start deprecating things already in the native registry in favor of things in MIBs, and if the IE Doctors don't tell someone who wants an IE that they can't have it because it's in MIB X. I don't believe it's necessary to write any of that down though.

>>> Expressed another way, we've already created duplication; now we have to live with it.
>> Actually this seems to be closer to "we've already created duplication, so we can happily create more," which seems dangerous for sustainable interop.
>
> What change, if any, would you like to see in the draft?

As long as it's clear that the mechanism is intended to glue MIBs to IPFIX, none.

Cheers,

Brian