Re: [IPFIX] New WG Last Call for draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech-06.txt

Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Fri, 27 May 2011 13:41 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 15:41:36 +0200
To: IPFIX Working Group <ipfix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] New WG Last Call for draft-ietf-ipfix-flow-selection-tech-06.txt

Hi, all,

The following are the balance of my WGLC comments on the flow selection draft.

1. As Benoit said, and in refinement of my earlier message, the model which the document uses should be based on an Intermediate (Flow) Selection Process (IFSP) as in RFC 6183, instead of adding new concepts to 5470. The case in section 4.1 is a bit of a special one, to address an uncommon requirement; in addition, it isn't really a flow selection process at all, but rather a packet selection process that selects packets on the same criteria that by which packets are separated into flows by the flow key. Therefore it can be noted here, I think, that the _function_ run within an IFSP can run _as a packet selection process_ before flow generation within an MP without having to hack new processes into the 5470 model. Section 6 will have to be updated a bit to fit this change as well.

2. The document should use a different term for "aggregation" (of packets into flows) to avoid collision with terminology related to aggregation in RFCs 5982 and 6183.

3. The document should use a different term for "classification" to avoid confusion with the use of this term with respect to "flow classification" and labeling. I realize 5470 uses the verb "classify" to refer to this process; I really wish it didn't.

Aggregation and classification _together_ comprise the "assignment" of packets to flows, and flow "generation". I'm afraid I don't have any better suggestions at this time.

4. Terminology based on terminology borrowed by analogy or reference to the packet selection techniques draft is a good idea; however, these terms should be defined in section . Additionally, terminology through the entire document should be reviewed for proper capitalization.

5. Within section 6, it is not clear how to apply this configuration data model. Should this be harmonized with ipfix-configuration-model?

6. In section 7, I would suggest unifying Paul and Benoit's comments on the subject of fsFlowRecordTotalCount; additionally, the IE should be named flowDeltaCount to keep parallel with IEs 1 and 2. Consider renaming the IEs in general to drop the "fs" prefix. perhaps "postSelection" or something similar (as with the pre/post IEs). Review other IEs to ensure they are not covered by existing IEs (especially those "pre-selection", as with IE 3)

7. What is a Flow Entry? Should this be defined in this document, or referenced as terminology from another? If this is what I think it is (reporting flow cache size inline), I'm not certain it belongs here in flow selection (perhaps in a document on metering process monitoring?).

Best regards,

Brian