Re: [IPFIX] RFC 6728: Observation Point ID definition

Gerhard Muenz <muenz@net.in.tum.de> Sat, 11 March 2017 13:14 UTC

To: Marta Seda <Marta.Seda@calix.com>, "ipfix@ietf.org" <ipfix@ietf.org>, "ie-doctors@ietf.org" <ie-doctors@ietf.org>
From: Gerhard Muenz <muenz@net.in.tum.de>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 14:13:47 +0100
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] RFC 6728: Observation Point ID definition

Hello Marta,

Observation Point is an IPFIX term defined in RFC5101 and then RFC7011 (
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7011#page-8 ):

    Observation Point

       An Observation Point is a location in the network where packets
       can be observed.  Examples include a line to which a probe is
       attached; a shared medium, such as an Ethernet-based LAN; a single
       port of a router; or a set of interfaces (physical or logical) of
       a router.

The ObservationPoint class defined in RFC6728 (
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6728#section-4.1 ) allows to identify
such an Observation Point in a Monitoring Device.

It seems that you do not want to specify a point for observing packets,
right? Then, the ObservationPoint class is not the right class for your
use case.

You can define your own yang module or extend the existing one with a
new class that allows to identify your source of statistics, whatever
that shall be.

Regards,
Gerhard