Re: [IPP] Possible updates to IPP INFRA

Michael Sweet via ipp <ipp@pwg.org> Mon, 18 May 2020 13:24 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 09:24:34 -0400
To: Cihan Colakoglu <Cihan.Colakoglu@dda.kyocera.com>
Cc: PWG IPP Workgroup <ipp@pwg.org>
Subject: Re: [IPP] Possible updates to IPP INFRA
From: Michael Sweet via ipp <ipp@pwg.org>
Sender: ipp <ipp-bounces@pwg.org>

Cihan,

Right now I think the path of least resistance is to develop an IPP Registration document that extends the IPP System Service Register-Output-Device operation to support the Proxy's X.509 certificate.  Proposed attributes are:

- "output-device-x509-certificate (1setOf text(MAX))" operation attribute, to be included in the request.
- "output-device-x509-certificate-supported (boolean)" System Description attribute, to tell the Client that the extension is supported.
- "output-device-col-supported (1setOf collection)" Printer Description attribute, to tell the Client which output devices are registered with a given Infrastructure Printer.  Member attributes would be "device-name (name(127))", "device-uuid (uri)", and "device-x509-certificate (1setOf text(MAX))".

The model section (4) of the registration can talk about all of the other concerns you've raised and provide pointers to IPP INFRA, IPP SYSTEM, IPP TRUSTNOONE, and CLOUDMODEL.  We should also talk about OAuth and the use of different authentication methods depending on the configuration and usage, e.g., personal printer connected to a Cloud Imaging System vs. enterprise printer where the Client/End User is a customer or employee.

Longer term we can add this content to an IPP System Service errata update, with a corresponding IPP Shared Infrastructure Extensions errata update that has pointers to IPP SYSTEM.