Re: [IPP] Question - IPP Job Ticket for 3D PDF's

Michael Sweet via ipp <ipp@pwg.org> Fri, 09 April 2021 11:02 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 07:02:43 -0400
To: PWG IPP Workgroup <ipp@pwg.org>
Subject: Re: [IPP] Question - IPP Job Ticket for 3D PDF's
From: Michael Sweet via ipp <ipp@pwg.org>
Sender: ipp <ipp-bounces@pwg.org>

Ira/All,

> On Apr 8, 2021, at 4:09 PM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Please first look at Paul Tykodi's note and attachment below.
>
> After discussion at this Monday's PWG Steering Committee call, we recorded the following
> resolution in the minutes:
>
> PWG and Embeddable Job Tickets
> - Discussion
>   - Plan discussed was to create a "reference embeddable job ticket" and put it on the FTP site, in
>     some encoding

The embeddable Job Ticket format we came up with almost 4 years ago is the XML-based PJT3D whose schema is generated from the IANA IPP registry.  And given the current (limited) capabilities of PDF, I *do* think that XML (which allows for embedding of its own) is probably the way to go.

But I don't think that is the question we need to answer (see below).

>   - Opens up the issue of providing alternate encodings for IPP other than "application/ipp"
>     - How does our PJT work dovetail with this?

Where we left it 4 years ago was that we proved we can programmatically generate an XML schema for any IPP service from the IANA IPP registry, and that any future development of the Semantic Model schema should be based on *that* to ensure 100% fidelity between the IPP and XML encodings.

Given that CBOR now has CDDL and JSON has JSON Schema [1], I suspect that we'd be able to do the same for those encodings fairly easily.

[1]: https://json-schema.org

>     - Figuring this out is a task for the IPP WG - Ira and Mike to consider this
>
> I do NOT propose to add this as a work item in the revised IPP WG Charter.  However, I *do*
> encourage discussion in the IPP WG.
>
> Comments?

Here is a copy of my original response to Paul's question.  For the TL;DR crowd, the issue is that PDF metadata only allows a single blob of metadata per file and per object, and recording the job receipt will require rewriting the PDF file which can be problematic.  The job ticket is only a small part of the metadata that manufacturers need to track, and much more detail is needed on where to place the job ticket and how to mix it with other metadata to achieve interoperability.