Re: [ippm] AD review of draft-ietf-ippm-initial-registry-11

"Brian Trammell (IETF)" <ietf@trammell.ch> Mon, 02 September 2019 15:29 UTC

From: "Brian Trammell (IETF)" <ietf@trammell.ch>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2019 17:29:18 +0200
Cc: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acm@research.att.com>, Michelle Cotton <michelle.cotton@iana.org>, "draft-ietf-ippm-initial-registry.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ippm-initial-registry.all@ietf.org>, IETF IPPM WG <ippm@ietf.org>
To: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Subject: Re: [ippm] AD review of draft-ietf-ippm-initial-registry-11

hi Mirja,

IIRC there was also an intent to have initial-registry on the standards track as it was initially intended (in part) as input to the LMAP WG before they changed direction (and closed), and initial-registry was to form the basis of the (standard) metrics LMAP would select among.

Cheers,

Brian

> On 2 Sep 2019, at 13:29, Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Al,
>
> Thanks for the background info. Sorry, I should have explained myself better. However, I don’t have a strong opinion on which status we end up with but I would really like to make sure that the intended status is well explained in the shepherd write-up in order to provided the other ADs the needed background information during IESG review.
>
> My think was that this document does actually not specify any new metric and as the registry only requires “Expert Review”, informational felt more natural for me. However, this is for the working group to decide!
>
> Mirja
>

>> On 30. Aug 2019, at 22:20, MORTON, ALFRED C (AL) <acm@research.att.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mirja,
>>
>> Thanks for reviewing these two memos,
>> registry and initial contents. They added a lot
>> of pages to your review load.
>>
>> I don't recollect a list discussion on
>> whether PS or Info, but years ago we decided
>> that all metric RFCs would go on the Standards Track,
>> and devised ways to evaluate whether they should
>> advance based on testing and ultimately
>> revised text. So, it seemed natural to make these
>> "tighter specifications of the original metrics"
>> PS, and that's been the status since 00.
>>
>> With this background, I'm interested to learn why
>> Informational seems the right choice to you,
>> and we should all think about the implications
>> of Info or PS for the metrics in this
>> draft-*-initial-registry.
>>
>> regards,
>> Al

>>> 3A__link.springer.com_chapter_10.1007_978-2D3-2D642-2D54999-2D1-
>>> 5F2&d=DwIFaQ&c=LFYZ-o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=OfsSu8kTIltVyD1oL72cBw&m=hwJZg-
>>> IdxQ9507aw2mjEKKOSWIEVnc8nwr7B_QiOyCU&s=HSEAeC_uI-vofX5ZWPSCH-R4Ph8Gu618-
>>> YtZJ4pTAgE&e=
>>> But to be honest the split between normative and informational isn’t
>>> actually very clear to me here…?
>>>

>>> And on the shepherd write-up:
>>>
>>> It’s indicated that not all authors have replied to the IPR question. This
>>> need to be checked and respectively reflected in the shepherd write-up
>>> before we can move ahead!
>>>

>>> And some smaller technical questions/nits:
>>>
>>> - Is it correct that T0 in section 4 is defined in both subsections 4.3.5
>>> and 4.4.2?
>>>
>>> - Why is an URI given (only) in section 6.1.3?
>>> Also section 7.1.3 and 8.1.3.: http:\\www.iana.org\ ... <name> -> I
>>> think this should be: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-
>>> 3A__www.iana.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=LFYZ-
>>> o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=OfsSu8kTIltVyD1oL72cBw&m=hwJZg-
>>> IdxQ9507aw2mjEKKOSWIEVnc8nwr7B_QiOyCU&s=9PuQd07oTFlEt8tWIDYz4c-