[ippm] Zaheduzzaman Sarker's No Objection on draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-data-12: (with COMMENT)

Zaheduzzaman Sarker via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 25 March 2021 14:05 UTC

From: Zaheduzzaman Sarker via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-data@ietf.org, ippm-chairs@ietf.org, ippm@ietf.org, Al Morton <acm@research.att.com>, acm@research.att.com
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 07:05:16 -0700
Subject: [ippm] Zaheduzzaman Sarker's No Objection on draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-data-12: (with COMMENT)

Zaheduzzaman Sarker has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-data-12: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-data/

COMMENT:

I wanted to discuss about
 - IOAM domain isolation and boundary
.- needed integrity. It good that there is already intention to work with
integrity however, I felt the lack of integrity and impact of that needed to be
discussed already for this document.

However, my fellow ADs have already put DISCUSSes on those. I support Roman
Danyliw and Benjamin Kaduk's DISCUSSes.

Another major issue - the use of IOAM-Namespaces to provide domain isolation
needs to be clarified. It is described that IOAM-Namespaces can be used to
filter the IOAM-Domain. However, it is also described that the same node can
have different roles ( encapsulating, dencapsulating and transit) for different
Namespace. If both of the description is true then I don't think filtering
based on IAOM-Namesapces works or I dont understand the filtering concept here.

* Section 3:

   Should use the updated RFC 8174 version of the BCP 14 boilerplate.

   Nit:
        E2E        Edge to Edge
        PMTU       Path MTU
   Missing ":", where rest of the entries have them

       Geneve:    Generic Network Virtualization Encapsulation
              [I-D.ietf-nvo3-geneve]
   Should refer to RFC 8926.

* Section 4:
       The operator has to consider the
   potential operational impact of IOAM to mechanisms such as ECMP
   processing (e.g.  load-balancing schemes based on packet length could
   be impacted by the increased packet size due to IOAM)..

   is there any guideline available? I haven't seen any discussion in the
   security considerations on this matter either.

       IOAM control points: IOAM-Data-Fields are added to or removed from
   the live user traffic by the devices which form the edge of a domain.

   what is live user traffic here?  does this suppose to mean current traffic
   in transition within the IOAM domain?

       Devices which form an IOAM-Domain can add, update or remove IOAM-
   Data-Fields.  Edge devices of an IOAM-Domain can be hosts or network
   devices.

  "hosts" need to clarified more, host of what?

* Section 5.1 and 5.1.1 :
   I cannot find how a POT-profile is defined hence understanding of section
   5.1 and section 5.1.1 is troublesome. It would be good have description of
   the POT-profile prior to talk about it. If this is defined somewhere else
   then need to refer to that.

* Section 5.4.1:

      NodeLen:  5-bit unsigned integer.  This field specifies the length of
      data added by each node in multiples of 4-octets, excluding the
      length of the "Opaque State Snapshot" field.

   I would suggest to add reference to the section where the"Opaque state
   snapshot" is defined.

* Section 6.3 :

       Epoch:

      The epoch is 1 January 1970 00:00:00 TAI, which is 31 December
      1969 23:59:51.999918 UTC.

   AFAIK, the UNIX epoch is 1 January 1970 (midnight UTC/GMT). is there any
   reference to the Epoch used here?

* Section 7:

   Needs a reference to IPFIX