[ippm] Éric Vyncke's Abstain on draft-ietf-ippm-explicit-flow-measurements-03: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 25 May 2023 13:10 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ippm-explicit-flow-measurements@ietf.org, ippm-chairs@ietf.org, ippm@ietf.org, marcus.ihlar@ericsson.com, marcus.ihlar@ericsson.com, pthubert@cisco.com
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 06:10:55 -0700
Subject: [ippm] Éric Vyncke's Abstain on draft-ietf-ippm-explicit-flow-measurements-03: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ippm-explicit-flow-measurements-03: Abstain

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-explicit-flow-measurements/

COMMENT:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for
draft-ietf-ippm-explicit-flow-measurements-03

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education).

I strongly support Jim Guichard's original DISCUSS point on squatting on bits
that may be used by the network. I read the follow-up email conversation and
then I now wonder what it the point of publishing this I-D as a RFC *in the
IETF stream* (as opposed to the *IRTF stream*) to describe a potential plan.
Hence, my current ABSTAIN ballot about the stream selection.

Other thanks to Pascal Thubert, the Internet directorate reviewer (at my
request), please consider this int-dir review:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-ippm-explicit-flow-measurements-03-intdir-telechat-thubert-2023-05-11/
(and I have seen the email exchange with Giuseppe)

Special thanks to Marcus Ihlar for the shepherd's detailed write-up including
the WG consensus and the justification of the intended status (and the
explanation for 8 authors)

I hope that this review helps to improve the document and possibly trigger a
change of stream,

Regards,

-éric

# COMMENTS

## Section 1

`can be prevented because of the encrypted transport-layer headers (e.g. QUIC,
TCP)` since when TCP is encrypted ? ;-)

## Section 8

While it is not really related to privacy, if there is some experimental
traffic over an ISP network with those bit sets, the ISP could put this marked
traffic in a priority queue to deliver a better service and so 'cheat' on an
experiment that would benchmark ISP (e.g., speedtest.net and others).