Re: [ippm] Second WGLC for draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-data

xiao.min2@zte.com.cn Sat, 30 May 2020 07:42 UTC

Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 15:41:29 +0800
From: xiao.min2@zte.com.cn
To: fbrockne@cisco.com
Cc: ippm@ietf.org, tpauly=40apple.com@dmarc.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ippm] Second WGLC for draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-data

Hi Frank,

Please see my inline response with <XM2>.

Best Regards,

Xiao Min

原始邮件

发件人:FrankBrockners(fbrockne) <fbrockne@cisco.com>
收件人:肖敏10093570;
抄送人:ippm@ietf.org <ippm@ietf.org>;tpauly=40apple.com@dmarc.ietf.org <tpauly=40apple.com@dmarc.ietf.org>;
日 期 :2020年05月29日 19:00
主 题 :RE: Re:[ippm] Second WGLC for draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-data

Hi Xiao Min,

There have been quite a few proposals for additional data fields for IOAM tracing, see e.g.https://github.com/inband-oam/ietf/issues/154

What we agreed in the past IPPM meetings was that we’d focus on finalizing draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-data so that we have a stable foundation that we can build upon. The definition of new fields is to be covered by new drafts.

<XM2> I understand. It's reasonable, and by the way, I support its publication.

On your case for a second timestamp: This has been discussed in the past, and so far the consensus was that a timestamp field and a transit-delay field cover things quite flexibly, given that you can derive associated times with simple
 operations (e.g. if timestamp covers packet-egress time and you also capture transit-delay, you could easily calculate packet-ingress time).

<XM2> I understand your argument and it's acceptable to me, nevertheless, the current text in section 4.4.2 doesn't reflect your statement that timestamp can cover packet-egress time.

In section 4.4.2, it says:

 timestamp seconds: 4-octet unsigned integer. Absolute timestamp in
 seconds that specifies the time at which the packet was received
 by the node.

 timestamp subseconds: 4-octet unsigned integer. Absolute timestamp
 in subseconds that specifies the time at which the packet was
 received by the node.
Could you please direct me to the words in section 4.4.2 that say the timestamp can cover packet-egress time?

Cheers, Frank

发件人:FrankBrockners(fbrockne) <fbrockne@cisco.com>

收件人:肖敏10093570;ippm@ietf.org
 <ippm@ietf.org>;tpauly=40apple.com@dmarc.ietf.org <tpauly=40apple.com@dmarc.ietf.org>;

日期:2020年05月29日
 16:05

Hi Xiao Min,

my understanding is that there are devices which can calculate transit delay, which is why the field was introduced quite a while ago.

<XM> OK, I see, then it's very reasonable to reserve this field of transit delay.

draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-data already includes an option to timestamp packets (see e.g. sections 4.4.2 and 4.6 in draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-data-09) which you can use exactly the same way as you propose below, i.e. you can use the timestamp field
 for the time, at which the packet was transmitted by the node. What draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-data asks you to do is to properly document when you timestamp the packet.

<XM> My suggestion might not be clear enough. Actually I want to have two timestamps carried in the hop-by-hop trace option data, one timestamp for the receiving time and another timestamp for the transmitting time, then after the IOAM
 Data is exported to the collecter, the collecter can use the two timestamps to calculate the transit delay of each IOAM transit node. Do you see it possible to add one more timestamp as IOAM node data field into section 4.4.2?

Cheers, Frank